I've seen Picasso's Guernica a few times now. And even though the story behind it is as tragic as it is horrific (German planes basically wiped out the entire Basque city of Guernica during the Spanish Civil War), I've never felt as emotional in front of it as I did this time, when Kristin and I went to see it. It was the mother and baby on the left that did it. I sense that I would feel the way that mother's face looks if my--I don't even want to say it. Anyway, it's such a powerful painting.It was also really interesting to see, in that same museum (The Reina Sophia), photos from the Spanish Civil War, since I've been reading about the conflict. Madrid looked so different--streets sandbagged, people living in metro stops we frequent, etc. A sad chapter in Spain's history indeed.
3 comments:
I used to show that painting as an art docent. You're right, becoming a mother changes your perspective in so many different ways. And becoming a grandmother even more so. I guess Heavenly Father really does know what he is doing, placing us in families!
Seeing this painting in person was one of the most spiritual experience I have had in years.
I have to concur with Josh on this one. Looking at this piece evoked a reverence in me I haven't felt for a long time. I felt a part from myself -- removed in a way that only can be described as a spiritual ecstasy (John Donne style).
Post a Comment