Thursday, May 7, 2009

More on food

Before I got here, I decided if I had to eat food from one region of the world for the rest of my life, it would be Mediterranean. So far, that choice has only been confirmed. I love the simplicity and elegance of the food here. It all comes down to quality ingredients:

good olive oil (and green olives!)
freshly baked bread (without preservatives)
wonderful cheeses
ripe produce
quality chocolate

What else could I want, really? Well, besides gelato, obviously.

By the way, a review of the flavors I posted:
pine nut--the nuts were great, the vanilla they were in a little boring
fig--shockingly "fresh" tasting; the opposite of a fig newton
flan--delicious, but not as burnt tasting as I like the sugar on my flan
hazlenut--divine; wish the pine nuts were in this
mandarin orange with chocolate--really surprisingly good

Anyway, if you're wondering what to make for dinner tonight, try some warmed garbanzo beans smothered in quality olive oil with some fresh crusty bread, some ripe cheese, and strawberries and pears for dessert (make sure you cut the pears with a fork and knife).

As Zoƫ would say, num num!

Back to pictures tomorrow.

p.s. The new blog header is my favorite Spanish breakfast. ColaCao (a ubiquitous and delicious brand of hot chocolate) and a trenza (pronounced "traintha" in Madrid)--a braided not-too-sweet sweet bread topped with coarse sugar. Perfect for dipping.

7 comments:

ohana=)mama said...

Ummm that picture is making me hungry! I wish I could taste it!

Nate and Nicole said...

Oh, you're making me so hungry.

Katrina said...

oh how I miss cola coa! that stuff is so comforting. I had it every day i was in spain.

Diana and Jon said...

I love that bread....my mouth started watering the second I saw it.

Danielle said...

mmm...I remember when I had hot chocolate in Italy when I was maybe 14 it changed my life! No more Swiss Miss for me! I don't know if I had the same kind exactly that you are having, but I bet its similar. yum.

Rachel Rowell said...

It's funny. I remebering loving garbanzo bean and olive oil in spain and I tried it a couple times when I got back to the U.S. and it was so gross. I wonder if it was the ingredients here, or maybe simply bc I wasn't in good ole spain.

Ben and Lori said...

That makes me so hungry!