Monday, May 4, 2009

A populated Europe

I look through a whole lot of pictures of Europe as part of my job. And, according to those pictures, Europe is basically uninhabited. I'm not sure why it is exactly that tourists and even experienced, serious photographers so rarely take photos of people in Europe, while they do so on every other continent. Perhaps it's because they're sidetracked by all the pretty buildings. Or maybe Europeans don't look "exotic" enough to photograph. Or perhaps many photographers feel less comfortable taking pictures of subjects who look similar to themselves.

Whatever the reason, one of my main photographic goals of this trip is to record the fact that people do in fact live in Europe--quite a few people, in fact.

The pictures that follow are not very good in an absolute sense, but they do represent a small victory for me. In many cases, I've been brave enough to obviously point and shoot at people (and they don't seem to mind). In many others, I've asked and received permission. It's getting less scary. Now I just have to get up the courage to actually shoot people for a few minutes once I get permission rather than taking a shot or two and thanking them. Also, my new 50mm lens only manually focuses on my camera, so it's double the pressure!

But here's a beginning (and, as you can tell, I've been playing around in PhotoShop). I hope to get at least one really good one in the two months that we're here.

11 comments:

xister said...

These are great.

Katrina said...

well done! I love the one with the old man and his violin.

Leah said...

Dying over the old lady at the door. Your 50mm only manual focuses??? What a pain!

Crolace said...

I had a mission companion who took pictures of people all the time. She would hide behind trees and take pictures of people she thought looked weird. And she also carried a tape recorder around to make tapes to send home to her family. And she would often use it to secretly record conversations with people she was contacting. I was always afraid we would get arrested as spies or something.

These are lovely pictures and I'm sure no one thought you were a spy. It just reminded me of the story.

ohana=)mama said...

Wow your photograpy is a beautiful as your writing.

Kip said...

Bravo, Rachel!

Joshua Ligairi said...

I really like both pictures of the old women and the doorways. I also like the pictures of the little girls a lot. I liked the picture of the two people laying on the ground better before it was sepia. I love thhose tree covered walkways in LaGarriga. It is so beautiful.

Danielle said...

ugh...I am becoming way too emotionally involved in your trip! I am dying over here. Love those photos. I love how you can just tell those people are European...just something different about them (well probably lots of things).

Ben and Lori said...

Wo, awesome job Rach. I love the pictures. Europe is so beautiful!

Diana and Jon said...

wow....those are awesome!

Diana and Jon said...

oh yea I forgot to tell you that I've been reading all the words in you blog...not just the pics! Are you so proud of me or what!