Monday, June 30, 2008

Mother-brain and mother-eyes

I now have a mother-brain. No matter what I am doing, there are all sorts of Zoë thoughts floating around in my head or at the very least, one. This makes it difficult to A) be totally carefree when eating at a restaurant without her, B) teach church lessons, and C) have completely coherent conversations.

Since I go back to work in three weeks (though thankfully at home), I've been a little worried about C. Notice how placing it third not only eased the transition into this paragraph but also augmented the phrase's alliteration? That's me seeing if I, holder of an English MA, can still write a sentence with "alliteration" in it. It didn't go too well because right now I'm wondering if Zoë is actually asleep in the next room and whether she's the right temperature in just a diaper and light blanket. Would a onsie and no blanket have been better? But then her feet get cold.

I was talking to my cousin the other day and she said something like this: it's not that mother-brains are dumb, as I've heard so many mothers profess. It is that they are unfocused. I would have to agree. A more positive way of describing it would be a split consciousness, though that sounds a little Freudian. There I go again. I shouldn't try to bring up Freud while wondering whether Zoë will want to eat in the next half an hour or if I should go to bed now.

On the other hand, motherhood--while robbing me of my former capacity to super-focus on intellectual tasks (don't tell my boss)--has offered me new eyes. I feel as if a whole secret world that heretofore (no comment) did not exist has suddenly been revealed to me. I see mothers everywhere with children who are smaller or bigger permutations of Zoë doing things that Zoë has done or will do and these mothers and their children and their motions and their concerns are all of the sudden intimately familiar to me. It is like finding myself fluent in a language that I heard for the first time only a few weeks ago.

In short, I am transformed.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

oh how i resonated with this post. i think the concept of split conciousness is dead on, and I do think it gets better as they get older, i.e. I can "turn my kids off" when they're asleep. sometimes. but one thing that frustates me is that I find myself repeating the same thing over and over to them, i.e. "Put your shoes on!" because I'm focusing on so many different things, whereas if I was able to take the time to think about what I was saying I could be more effective.

kelsey said...

Wow, you say that so much better than I could even begin to.

ohana=)mama said...

oh thanks for clearing up the motherbrain thing! You make it sound so much better than my conception of what happened to my brain! It's nice to know that it's just really because I'm focused on the well being of my child not that I have dropped quite a few point in IQ = ).

Rachel Rowell said...

You were able to put on paper (well, a computer) exactly what was going through in my head! I guess that is why you are the one with the English degree.