Monday, June 23, 2008

A fifth and a first

Saturday was our five-year anniversary. It's hard to believe that on last year's summer solstice we were here:

(at the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, after two weeks in New York and Washington DC.)

Life has changed a little bit. For our anniversary this year, we went on a very different outing--albeit one that felt like just as big of a trip. This outing consisted of going to the mall 5 minutes from our house (with Zoë), where we got lunch, went to a movie, and shopped for presents. Okay, so it didn't feel like quite as big of a break as two weeks on the east coast, but it was liberating to be able to do so much with Zoë, who slept most of the time, and spend several hours together.

The next night we ate at one of our favorite Indian restaurants (India Garden) while Josh's family watched Zoë. It was delicious.



After five years of marriage (and eight of being together), I am so grateful to be with someone as caring, creative, interesting, supportive, and a bunch of other great adjectives as Josh. The addition of the label "daddy" to "husband" has only made me love him more and in ways I could have never foreseen. Though I'm a little late for an official Father's Day post, I didn't want to let this first one go by without mentioning a few things.

Josh has been an amazing father since before Zoë was born. I could never have birthed her in the way I did without him. Since then, his delight over her is contagious. I love to hear him talking to her, laughing at her, and singing to her in the next room. He's able to calm her and get her to coo when I can't. And of course he's shown his commitment to fatherhood already with the approximately 500 diapers he's already changed (really--I did the math). I love seeing the relationship that's forming between this new father and his daughter.

8 comments:

Rachel Sue said...

Happy Anniversary! June 21 must be a popular day to get married. It is our anniversary, as well as four other couples that I know!

Blue Cheese said...

Thanks for making me get weepy at work . . .

Jolyn said...

That's a lot of diapers - way to go Josh! And Happy Anniversary to you both. :)

Ben and Lori said...

Sexy legs in your first picture!! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

:: not getting divorced rules . good work ::

SillySally said...

Rachel,

Sorry I had to rush off yesterday, I am glad I saw you and got to meet your new baby! I was hoping I could connect with you through Lori's blog, and I could! Happy Anniversary and Congratulations. If you ever want to do lunch or go for a walk, let me know.
sallyhannon@yahoo.com.

Sally

Jeff said...

Happy anniversary, guys. I agree about Josh. Not only a great father, but a great son-in-law, too. I love you guys to pieces.

Diana and Jon said...

I'll be honest, your anniversary slipped my mind. Congratulations on five years! You guys are old fogies now.