Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yikes

There is nothing quite like lying half-asleep in bed while nursing a baby and hearing sirens wail in the distance. And then get closer. And then get so close that you see their accompanying lights flashing red, blue, red, blue, against your blinds. So close that it feels like all 8 emergency response vehicles parked outside of your house are attempting to get into your house.

Before I found out that the smoke was coming from a couch--two houses down--that had caught on fire, a fire fighter approached me, asking me for a "bathrobe or something" to clothe the woman "standing in a sleeping bag." Fumbling around in the dark (Josh having made sure we didn't have to evacuate had promptly fallen back asleep, along with the baby), I managed to locate some sweat pants a T-shirt and, per the fire fighter's suggestion, a bath robe (something to keep her a little bit warmer on this uncharacteristically chilly morning). What I failed to think about until just a few minutes ago, when I glanced out of my window and saw her standing barefoot, were shoes and/or socks. Brrrr.

Luckily nothing but the couch burned. And it was hosed down on my neighbor's front lawn, to spare the house an unneeded and potentially destructive soaking.

Even so, I've never in my life been so grateful for a freezing, rainy Labor Day.

3 comments:

Ben and Lori said...

Wo crazy. You know what is funny is that last night I was thinking about how awful it would be if there was a fire or something and you we're sleeping naked and had to hurry and run outside, that would really be the worst. Okay wait, not that I ever sleep naked, I was just thinking that it was good that I didn't just incase there was an emergency.

Leah said...

Yeah, I woke up to that myself. So sad for that woman. Couple questions, why naked, and why in a sleeping bag?

ohana=)mama said...

hummm breast feeding is sound like it is way more exciting for you than it is for me.

I would have to agree with leah... naked in a sleeping bag? There's probably a perfectly good explanation for that.

Ok and Lori that is so random... what other kind of crazy thing do you think at night?