Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day 1: In retrospect

Well, I can tell this is going to take more than one day. Today was tough--some arguments, some annoyances, some frustrations--and I wasn't very good at "seeing and hearing the good" during them. But, in retrospect, the good is clear.

This morning, Josh mowed our large, long lawn while I finished watching the movie I'd fallen asleep during last night (The Kingdom--quite good). He also let me boss him around a lot, as I often do on Saturdays, when I'm trying to get a list of things done. He went to the post office and the garage, both on my suggestion and both were closed. But he wasn't bad natured about it at all. He flew Zoë around like an airplane and played with her outside. And he's making (a late) dinner now. He is a good guy.

We saw Josh's family tonight, who were gracious and loving as ever. Zoë even gave them a smile or two instead of breaking out into tears like she usually does when she sees non-parents.

And of course it's hardly a struggle to see good in Zoë herself. When she's done eating, she looks up at me and just smiles. Smiles like she couldn't be happier. And then neither can I. Plus, she was wearing duck slippers all day.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I have to tell you that I have been trying to play along with this. Well I should say, that when I read your original post I thought that this is something that I should do too. And then tonight as I was complaining about one of my friends, and felt the post complaining guilt, I thought about your post. And so now I am officially rededicating myself to play along with you...if that's OK.

Susie said...

'progress not perfection' is a slogan I like.

Rachel Mae said...

Danielle, please do. And I know all about post-complaining guilt.