Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day 2: In abundance

There was good in abundance today . . .

. . . in the shared conversation on childbirth between me and an almost mother of two whose husband is stationed in Iraq.

. . . in the hug exchanged with a friend whose baby only made it to almost by coming at four months.

. . . in a gift that looked like garden produce but was actually love from a dear friend.

. . . in church talks given by my parents that were were honest, imaginative, well written and intoned, smart, and spirit-full.

. . . in seeing former Sunbeams of mine blossom into nearly-10-year-olds with shy smiles and bleached hair from a summer of swimming.

. . . in hearing about Kyrgyzstan from a chaplain recently stationed there and the amount of money he'd been able to raise to help those in need around him.

. . . in hearing my husband in the next room tell his grandma that the air blowing out of the popcorn machine smelled like her kitchen during his growing-up years and then watching him carefully arrange the chairs symmetrically around her dining room table and kissing her goodbye.

. . . in tracing the nose, smelling the head, and kissing the cheeks of my sleeping babe. And then kissing her some more.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Rachel,

Thanks for trying to see the good, including in your imperfect parents. You are inspiring me to do the same with others. I love you lots.

Rachel Rowell said...

Wow, this is going to sound really corny, but what a beautiful post!

ohana=)mama said...

I like the last two the best. Honestly your blog is the only one that I'm not intimidated by all text. I'm more of a picture book kind of girl.... I have to admit but you paint pictures in my mind that are much better than any I've seen.