Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baffled

My dad just finished coaching a member of the 70, who speaks not a word of English, how to pronounce the English words in his talk for General Conference this weekend.

Can someone more enlightened than me explain why it is that the rest of the world can listen to/watch all of Conference in translation but we Americans can't listen to a few speakers deliver talks in their native languages accompanied by translations?

It really baffles me. We're such a global church and we have so many foreign-language speaking members. Why the insistance on English?

11 comments:

Katrina said...

VERY good point!

Ashley Thalman said...

I totally agree- I've thought that for years.

Blue Cheese said...

Because our assumption is now that the Church is global, more people are like us. Or something.

xister said...

What would people in the conference center do? They can't distribute 21,000 headsets. (This is a perhaps a lame reason, but a reason nonetheless.)

Rachel Mae said...

Admittedly, I haven't been to Conference at the conference center, but there is at least one screen onto which an image of the speaker is projected, right? And they have the talks ahead of time, so they could put English subtitles on the screen. Problem solved.

Angie said...

I think it's probably because there are more English speakers in attendance at the conference center. Also, my dad was telling me that Elder Perry challenged all non-English speaking missionaries to learn English before their mission ends because it's the "business language" used throughout the world. Also, my uncle is a mission president in Mexico right now and they are now teaching ALL missionaries, regardless of their native/learned languages to speak English.

Rachel Mae said...

I understand that and the benefit learning English can have in today's environment. I just think that we could all benefit from a little more cultural diversity. Is it so horrible to have to hear a cool foreign language and hear a read a few subtitles?

Crolace said...

I think Xister probably got it.

I can think of two problems with subtitles:

First, with the simultaneous translation. Translating a talk verbally as you listen to it is tricky, but most people can do it with a little practice I think (if they know both languages). Typing a translation as you hear it would be really, really hard. I don't think many translators would be up to the task. I know the talks are submitted to the translators ahead of time, but they still like to do the translations on the fly, to give the speakers the freedom to make last minute changes, or deviate slightly from their written talks.

The other problem I can see is that some native English speakers in attendance at the conference center may be visually impaired, or struggle with reading. I guess you could just give headsets to those people, if they were comfortable asking for help. Some people are sensitive about their disabilities.

I see your point though. Hearing conference speakers in their native langauge would be an awesome reminder of the diversity within the Church.

On a related note, I think it's really great when English-speaking Church leaders are visiting non-English-speaking countries and do their best to address the members in the local language.

ohana=)mama said...

Tis true it may actually make a few of us perk up our ears a little at the change!

Ben and Lori said...

I've never thought of that before. I think it would be really nice to hear a talk in someones native language. I would really love that actually.

Susie said...

He did a good job. His talk was moving.