Monday, March 10, 2008

Why I love the news

After a particularly fitful night of trying to sleep, I "woke up" this morning to the morning news (on NPR). It was such a comfort, just like the news always is for me.

But I've been asked (and I've asked myself) why listening to what often amounts to tales of death and destruction, or at least economic crisis, is comforting. The first answer I come to is rather pathetic: it's the same D&D (or EC) every morning, told in the same voice, with the same music cues. And being the creature of habit that I am, I like that.

I suppose I could also come to a more positive answer though. When I'm feeling isolated, disturbed by dreams, or emotional in the morning, the news quickly connects me to the world that exists outside of me and helps put into perspective anything I may be dealing with.

What helps you get through morning panics/blues/worries/dreads? (Does everyone else have those from time to time or am I merely revealing my psychosis?)

9 comments:

Rachael said...

i drink 24 oz of water when i'm still lying in bed, and then the only thing i can think about is that i need to go to the bathroom.

that helps smoosh out any real thoughts out of my mind.

Blue Cheese said...

I too have those and I too turn to NPR. There's something calming about the repeatable structure of the program. Plus, I find myself getting lost in the real troubles of the world and thereby forgetting my own. While the news may be "depressing," I find myself thinking about how I might help bring about change both at home and abroad. It makes me want to be better -- in a good way.

Kiera said...

I'm sorry to say but I hate the news. It's disturbing and usually always bad and I just don't see the point in bringing any of that into my daily life. Not to mention, there are plenty of wonderful, uplifting things happening in our world on a daily basis but none of those things ever make it to the headline news because people relish in knowing that horrible things are happening to other people and not to themselves. It gives them a point of reference to judge their own lives from. What is, is. I just prefer to live in a bubble I guess. On that same note, isn't life basically your own personal experience? I choose to experience a life free from a constant stream of bad news. I like being informed but only about things that matter to me and most of the news just plain doesn't matter to me.
Maybe I've just revealed my psychosis...?

Blue Cheese said...

I agree that the news often carries stories of suffering; however, I prefer to see these as motivation to make the world better. I hear of these things and think about what choices I can make to influence change for good. Our life is our personal experience, but is that necessarily so separate from others? Are we not connected?

Just some thoughts from an addled brain.

Kiera said...

HA! This is great, a real discussion...nice blog Rachel!

We absolutely are connected...in pretty much every way that matters. Thats just my point. I feel like if I am one who feasts on the news of other peoples suffering, then I am just adding to the problem by sending my energy toward it and empowering the problems even more. Also, I don't entirely trust the news. All it is, is one persons (or a relatively small group of peoples) perspective on an event that is happening. Usually that perspective is one that benefits the big corporate business that pay for the advertising between segments. Blah blah blah, its just so self serving. The more tragic, or frustrating, or appalling the news stories become, the more people who are interested in watching it. Therefore the more money the corporation's make because of course the ratings are up and on and on and on. Its repetitive and unnecessary. Thats all, I'm all for making the world a better place, I just don't need the constant stream of bad news to remind me that I need to do my part to improve the world. : )

By the way, I also know that NPR steers pretty clear of all that corporate bias news which is great. If you're going to take part in the news, I definitely think that listening to NPR is the way to go.

Danielle said...

Oh I am so opposite. I hate waking up to the news...which I usually do because my husband has it blaring in the shower. I hate that it snaps me out of my dreamland into reality. And its loud. Plus I am NOT a creature of habit. In fact, most days I have to think pretty hard about exactly what I should do next (hmm..? I'm hungry...guess I should eat breakfast..that sort of thing). Anyway, I do know what you mean about the morning panics/worries/blues/dread. I have those the worst when I wake up late. It's like I missed out on part of the day or something. I just quit my job, which helped out a lot with that. Now I wake up feeling like I better have a lot of fun before this baby comes!

Danielle said...

Oh I am so opposite. I hate waking up to the news...which I usually do because my husband has it blaring in the shower. I hate that it snaps me out of my dreamland into reality. And its loud. Plus I am NOT a creature of habit. In fact, most days I have to think pretty hard about exactly what I should do next (hmm..? I'm hungry...guess I should eat breakfast..that sort of thing). Anyway, I do know what you mean about the morning panics/worries/blues/dread. I have those the worst when I wake up late. It's like I missed out on part of the day or something. I just quit my job, which helped out a lot with that. Now I wake up feeling like I better have a lot of fun before this baby comes!

xister said...

As someone who occasionally has a hard time separated my dreams from real life when I wake up, the news sort of grounds me to reality. I recognize that news is simply just one man's (or woman's) opinion of what is happening and what is important in the world, but as long as I continue to recognize that, then the news can be a good view of society.

I love the letters to the editors in the Daily Universe especially, not because they accurately reflect my own opinions, but rather because they do not.

If I come across something that really interests me in the news, then I look it up in a few sources. Otherwise, it's fun to hear about local hooligans who are arrested for harassing ducks.

Susie said...

Up until a couple of years ago, I used NPR as my alarm clock. That's 20-some years. I stopped because I felt like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day". Every morning the first thing I heard was that another suicide bomber had blown again. I just couldn't take it first thing anymore. Now classical music wakes me and once I am well awake, I listen to the news on NPR. Like you Rachel, I think the voices and routine and music were like old familiar friends. Still are.