Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Revelations

Our "baby" class last night was on caring for a newborn. We both learned new things.

Josh--I'm going to have to change a poopy diaper more than 3 times a week?
Rachel--I may only have 30 minutes in between breastfeeding sessions?

While I'm not sure Josh saw an up-side to the diaper dilemma, I'm already salivating over all of the books I'm going to read.

5 comments:

Nate and Nicole said...

Hi Rachel!

I think you emailed me about your blog forever ago, but I had forgotten to check it out until I saw you on Anna Gordon's blog. It's been fun to get a little caught up on your life since grad school. I'm so excited to hear you're expecting and can't wait to see pictures of your little one. I'm glad we'll be able to keep in touch better via blogs (though I have to warn, my blog is all pictures of our baby for friends and family that don't live close by. I kind of cringe when I look at it because I think we may have become the obnoxious first-time parents that I always made fun of. Oh well!).

By the way, to comment on your post, the breastfeeding thing definitely threw me for a loop - the time it takes, that even though it's natural, it doesn't come easily (at least not for my little guy) right away, etc. Just remember that it does get better, faster, less painful, and yes, once you get it down, the reading time is so great! (It may be the only reading time you get!).

Anyway, good luck with everything. I'll check back in for updates :).

Nicole

Rachael said...

oh, i'm so glad that you got to take a newborn class, because NOBODY TOLD ME THOSE THINGS!!!

Also, for Josh, here's something my pediatrician told us,"It's normal for babies to have 10 poopy diapers a day, or one every 10 days." Abigail was in the 1 every 10 category, Jules, however, was in the 10 every day category. Interesting.

And nursing...oh my, that's fun. And like Nicole said, it does get better. It seemed like everything got better about the six week mark. And I totally love the fact that I can say, "Oh, honey, can you do the dishes? I have go feed Jules," and then I indulge in whatever book I'm in the middle of.

Danielle said...

It is not normal for a baby to have one poopy diaper every ten days!

Is is bad that I don't really want to go to the newborn class? My husband keeps saying that we will just wing it. Ha. We are totally going to the class.

Kiera said...

ahhh, remembering what it was like when all I had was one baby to take care of...priceless.

Parker and Vanessa said...

I learn a lot from your blog.