Tuesday, December 4, 2007

San Diego trip

I was in San Diego for a work conference over the weekend. I didn't have much downtime, but I love San Diego so much that it was fun nonetheless. And I got to go to dinner with my friend Sally, who's doing a PhD at UCSD.

I was oh-so-impressed with the hotel. Very nice.

A funny story: We had a focus group with customers and teachers on Saturday afternoon, which included a lunch catered by the hotel. Before the meal started, we editors were getting settled and the server (who will henceforth be called "the butler") overheard some of us talking about how much nicer this focus group was going to be than one held in Reno--in a Casino--a few months previous. He jumped in to say that the Hyatt where we were staying was ranked #1 in the country and that he worked for the owner. Then, unprompted, the butler started listing off all of said owner's possessions, which included a $5 million boat (the tallest in the harbor), 5 homes, one of which was worth $35 million, a BBQ that ignites in response to the heat of a human arm, etc. It was very odd. But then I started thinking about how if you're a butler (his stance and attention to detail seemed to suggest the position), maybe that's how you introduce yourself--by talking up your boss. What a strange butler world.

Some views from my room.

The weather was really foggy and rainy on Thursday and Friday.

But that didn't stop us from eating at some great restaurants (Thai, Indian, and Italian). Pictured here is one of my favorite desserts of all time--also featured at PF Chang's. Wrapped bananas and homemade ice cream.

I also got to enjoy awesome 80s architecture at the convention center during the day.

And witnessed a Santa convention one night.

Sunday morning we finally had some free time and the weather was beautiful! We hung out in Seaport Village...

...and enjoyed San Diego's flora and fauna. Or maybe just the flora? What does the fauna stand for anyway?

Also, while there, I dreamed that the baby was a girl. But my dreams have never been prophetic before...

3 comments:

ohana=)mama said...

I am always so impressed with your photography, you have a good eye. Not only that you are good with words and I can't wait to read what you have written. I am usually a picture book type and like the pictures and skip the text but I find myself laughing or enthrawled whenever I read your blogs.

Raschel

ohana=)mama said...

I knew for pretty much for sure what both of my kids would be. I didn't admit it with Keilani but I told everyone with Jimmy it's a boy it's a boy and I was most definitely right.

The butler thing is most pretty strange, but maybe it make him feel better that he works for people with money since he does not.

sarah said...

isn't flora = flowers and
fauna = plants?