
Josh and I took advantage of my AMAZING eye insurance the other day, since it runs out at the end of the year.
For me, the visit to the eye doctor was a fairly routine event, though the second the assistant told me I was faced off with the air-puff machine I started to blink like a maniac.
But, unbeknownst to me, Josh hadn't had a formal eye exam since seventh grade. When he was 12, he had super-hero vision (20/40?). Several years of film editing later, it's now 20/15. Still not bad.
I got through my exam in a matter of minutes--an exam complete with dilation (did you know that's how that word is spelled? I always thought there was another a in there--kind of like "Ti-a-juana" instead of the correct, three-syllable "Tijuana"). It took Josh considerably longer.
And when the assistant lady (for lack of a formal term) had turned him over to el doctor, she told me why: he was fascinated by everything in the office. He was asking a gazillion questions, trying the tests out on himself a second and third time, etc. Like a child in a candy shop to employ a well-worn cliche (see, I do know some, Kip!).
At one point, Josh, so incredulous of his failing eyesight, asked if there were any "math equations" in the list of letters he was supposed to be reciting. His next question was whether all of the letters were in the Latin alphabet (he thought he was seeing Cyrillic).
Then he reappeared, fully di -a lated. Oh the pain! The agony of the bright lights as he attempted to find some now-needed editing glasses under the $190 price limit. (When I say price limit I mean that my insurance will completely pay for deluxe lenses and frames, as long as the latter are $190 or below.) I had been given the shade inserts, pictured above, to put in my glasses. Of course, it wasn't bright enough inside to need them. That didn't stop Josh from repeatedly attempting to balance them between scrunched eyes and puckered nose whilst he scanned the racks.
Ultimately, he was unimpressed with the "nerdiness" of the glasses offered. In other words, he wanted nerdier glasses. But I told him his computer wouldn't be able to tell.
He did become very attached to this pair though, so don't be surprised if he's wearing them the next time you see him:
3 comments:
I was really amused by how into the eye exam Josh was! Sounds like Neil...it always takes us forever to do things because he'll start asking these really intent, probing questions of salespeople.
That's way funny. It's good to be curious though.
It's like an astigmatism. I always thought it was a stigmatism. It is a crazy word world.
Post a Comment