Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Opening the door

I love the second before opening a hotel room door. It excites me. Granted, it's less exciting in a large chain, like the one I just stayed in, but exciting nonetheless. This was one of the small unanticipated pleasures of traveling around Europe, staying in a different hotel room every night or two, when I was younger. What will I find when I open the door? What kind of atmosphere will this temporary home have? What kind of view? And it doesn't matter if the room itself disappoints because a new one will replace it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

my sisters and i used to pretend that we were staying in hotels all the time because we loved it so much. we'd get our rooms super clean and then take turns turning down the covers, putting out a little treat on the pillows, etc., then one of us would hand the other a "key" and we'd go in and pretend it was a hotel.

it sounds weird when i write it out, but what i'm trying to say is...i know what you mean.