I have an attractive face. That is to say, my face attracts things. Something about the structure of my teeth and gums makes it physiologically impossible for them to remain unadorned whenever I eat anything. This goes especially for the color green. If it's green, my teeth like to wear it proudly. Perhaps they're Irish. You might think that such an affliction would put me in the habit of doing like my friend Sharon does--checking with others post-meal to ensure her teeth are appropriately naked. Nope. Rather than taking that time-tested and practical route, I prefer the eternal optimism (and you thought I was a pessimist!) of hoping that what has proved true for the last 25 years will not be true this time.
Which brings me to the pen marks. As a teacher and editor, I most always have some sort of pen in hand. I was 90 minutes through class on Monday when one of my students timidly mentioned that I had a blue mark underneath my chin. I did not mind this unsolicited observation one bit. But something about the somewhat personal act of a licked finger applied to an under-chin unleashed a volley of other observations--I had pen on my cheek, a dot by my mouth, etc. I'm still not minding (and am rubbing my face like mad) but am beginning to wonder why it took 90 minutes for my students to reveal to me that they were not in fact listening to my detailed explanation of topic sentences but were instead staring at something from Harold and the Purple (well, blue) Crayon.
And then there was today. My now year-long (amazing!) routine of daily morning gym attendance has been put on hold by a bum knee. The result is that instead of having been awake for at least 3 hours before my 8am class, I rolled out of bed at 7:35. I made it to my first conference at 8, but with something new "stuck" to my face (and neck)--pillow lines. I better not ever get a PhD. I don't think my face can live up to the profess(ionalism) of being a profess(or).
3 comments:
When I worked for a dentist, I had to tell him several times that he had food on his face. I felt bad for the patient who might have to stare at it the entire time he did a procedure. I can picture the pen on your face...Just so you know, I would tell you sooner:)
I'm pretty sure that this whole food in the teeth thing sounds familiar. Oh wait, sounds like Mom! It must be inherited. ;)
Rachel,
Your description of your problem with green teeth sounds so familiar to me that I could not wait to tell my daughter Júlia about it and I take the liberty to tell you about it myself without asking for her permission (I hope she gives it to me when I tell her). Júlia happens to have the exact same problem with teeth and green as you do. She is always SOOO worried that something green (she does not seem to care for other colors) will stick in between her teeth that she has invented the most amazing tricks for checking in different places. However, very often she will refuse to eat something green outside the house for the possible unwanted results.
Some of the tricks I have noticed are:
To use silverware (they have to be shiny) as mirrors to check on her teeth. I have surprised her using someone else's glasses (often mine) as mirrors.
If she realizes that the worst has happened and a green piece of food has decided to stay in between her teeth, she is desperate enough to use her long, strong hair to floss it out.
Well, I think that you and Júlia can start up a club.
I hope that Júlia does not mind me telling you all this.
Post a Comment