Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Farewell, laundromat



It's official. We're going shopping for a stackable washer/dryer unit today. As I bid farewell to the laundromat that has served me well over the last 2.5 years (I know, we really should have invested in above appliance(s) sooner), I realize there are several things I will miss. First, I will miss getting all of my laundry done in one shot, including big blankets and rugs. I will miss the owners, a couple originally from Mexico with adorable kids, whom I've gotten to know quite well. I will miss the Slurpees from the 7-11 kitty-corner from the laundromat. I will miss the mandated time away from other tasks at home during which I can do nothing else but grade or read (I was never one of those people, legally insane I'm sure, who just stand and watch their clothes tumble around). I will miss the air conditioning. I will miss making up biographies for the many characters who also frequent the laundromat.

But oh the joy that awaits me. I am soon to be in multi-tasking, clothes-folding-on the-couch heaven.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

oh, i am so vicariously happy for you. i looove having a washer and dryer--it makes me feel so efficient because i can be doing laundry all day while doing other things! like grading or reading. :-)

kelsey said...

Hi Rachel! I found you on Angie and Lori's blogs. Having recently acquired my own washer and dryer I thought of a few things that you might not miss...

1. Having to scrounge up quarters from your change jar each week.
2. Broken washers that steal your quarters.
3. Cleaning out the dirty lint trap left by the last users.
4. Wimpy dryers that take 20 quarters to dry your load of towels.

Have fun with your new appliances!

(hmm guess you can't edit these comments)

Rachel Mae said...

Oh, so true--I probably spend close to $40 a month on laundry. I'm guessing the rise in my utility bills is not going to compete with that.

Angie said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! I was thinking of you today. That washer and dryer is an awesome gift. Hope you had a good day!