Friday, August 24, 2007

Happily surprised

So, I've heard horror stories about teaching English 315 (Advanced Writing in the Social Sciences) during Spring or Summer terms. It's such an intense class (8 short weeks) and is often filled with just-about-to-graduate seniors who could not care less about learning to write in their disciplines.

Not the case!

I was very impressed with my students this Summer term, who did not complain at all even though they were basically writing a hefty paper (or draft) a week. No whining, just a lot of hard work. And then I checked my student evaluations today and they're through the roof! Much higher than every other semester. And even though this is shameless bragging, I have to include this one comment because I think it may be the nicest one a student has ever left me. Comments like this help make being underpaid and overworked worth it and motivate me to gear up for Fall:

"This was an amazing course. Rachel is one of the best teachers I have had at BYU. Seriously, I've never ever had a teacher more on top of grades, or who gave back more productive, helpful feedback on writing assignments. I think that all the other teachers in the English department should pay attention to how she runs her class and copy what she is doing. Rachel was very kind, and I turned in my assignments and really learned from them. This is one of the only classes I've ever taken at BYU where I felt that literally 100% of the class time was useful to me. It was an exceptional course from an exceptional teacher."

So today I'm thinking about how important it is to hope for the good rather than expect the bad.

(I promise that the self-congratulatory, feel-good posts on this blog will be few and far between.)

3 comments:

Rachael said...

you know, i'd have to agree. the Engl 421 summer course that i just finished teaching had some of the best students i'd ever had. very dedicated kids.

and hurray for positive student evaluations! i've always imagined that you would be an incredibly conscientious teacher. good to have that recognized.

Ben and Lori said...

Good job Rachel! I am not surprised by her comment at all, you are so smart and so awesome! I know you helped me out a few times in our first year at BYU. I'm glad that you wrote that on your blog, because honestly I am really proud of you. I sound like a cheese ball, but its true.

Angie said...

That's cool Rachel. Good job! It's always nice to hear something like that. I'm sure your a great teacher.