Monday, August 27, 2007

The American Dream

I'm at my office late tonight because I stayed after work to revise my syllabus for the honors freshman comp class I'm teaching this fall. The class theme (of my choice) is the American Dream. My students inevitably begin the semester defining the American Dream as "the opportunity for anyone to succeed in America [read buy a house with a white picket fence] if he or she [though a he is usually implied] works hard enough." Throughout the semester I attempt to complicate this definition by exploring the racial, gendered, political, and socioeconomic components of the American Dream in addition to its spiritual and personal components.

So anyway, as I'm sitting here selecting readings from African American and Latino authors writing about self-definition and limitations imposed by racism and back-breaking labor, I find myself unconsiously scooting my chair over to allow the newly hired Hispanic cleaning woman to empty my trash.

She must have replaced the Peruvian economist who was living precariously (though not entirely illegally) as a night janitor in order to provide a coveted U.S. education for his two daughters--this despite the fact that he had nothing good to say about the U.S. and not only missed the predictable food and close-knit communities of his native Peru but also, shockingly, its medical care. During late nights in the office while I was finishing my thesis on problematic representations of Mexico (and Mexicans and Others in general) in American literature, he would corner me for minutes--sometimes hours--for conversations in Spanish about global economics, religion, and politics. Then he would inquire about and repeat after me the English words for asking someone to move aside so that their trash can could be emptied.

I think, I write, I teach, but I want to do.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

very thought-provoking. thank you.

Mary said...

I've often had this experience with the janitorial staff. I never know quite how to handle it. However, I think your job teaching the still-somewhat-maleable minds of college students is an important one. It was in some of my college classes that I really began to think more about the human experience that expanded beyond my more narrow, personal experience.

Jolyn said...

I had a Peruvian come into my office the other day with questions about why health insurance premiums are so high in the U.S. He couldn't say enough the Peruvian health care system and about what is lacking in the U.S. health care system. I wonder if it was the same guy... that would be so weird.
But anyway, the conversation I had with him is similar to conversations I have with people all day, usually ending with me letting them know, politely of course, that there's nothing that I can do and they are basically screwed.
For example, this was my day yesterday:
First a girl about my age came in with her cute little newborn baby. She wanted to apply for health coverage for her and her newborn, and it was my duty to inform her that there is a possibility her newborn won't qualify due to the fact that she was born prematurely.
Next, I had a call from a gentleman who is on a sleep apnea machine because sometimes he stops breathing at night and could die in his sleep if he is not monitored. His insurance plan covered a couple hundred dollars toward the machine, leaving him with a balance of about $2500. Once again, sorry man, but those are the breaks.
Lastly, a little old woman who survives on her social security checks came in to question why her premium is so high for her medicare-designed part d drug plan. I informed her that the rates are the same for everyone and yeah, it sucks that the premium increased by 33% in the past year, but lets keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't go up that much next year.
If that is part of the American dream, then I don't want it, and I'm pretty sure none of the people mentioned above are too happy about it either.
I definitely think its time for the American dream to be revamped. Part of it should include caring for our fellow Americans in the health care department. Another part would be equality of race, sex, religion, etc., which it seems we somehow still have not mastered. Also included in my American dream would be an increased awareness of the social and political climate. There is so much indifference and ignorance among voters in our country. Lastly, though I'm sure there are a lot more things that should play in to the American dream, part of my American dream would be an increased awareness among Americans in regard to consumerism. A population who evaluates spending based on local, global, and environmental impact, instead of assuming that we are entitled to as much fuel consumption as we can afford or that we need huge homes to keep up with the status quo.

Sorry to go off like that - I really liked your post and it reminded me of these experiences and thoughts. I especially like the last line of your post. I often feel helpless when it comes to issues like these and would like to do something but don't know how or what. You should feel good about the fact that you are teaching and introducing your students to different ideas. To me that seems like the best place to start.