Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Holiday download

So much happened over the holiday break (I had a blessed two weeks off of teaching and working--not that teaching isn't work, but that's the terminology around here) that I wish I could download my brain onto this post. Instead, I will be much more succinct and list some holiday moments, in no particular order:

1. Seeing our baby girl kick her little legs and pucker her lips and feeling those gorgeous kicks (or perhaps back flips) all the time now. More on her to come.

2. Lunch with neighborhood and high school friends.

3. Getting my grades turned in the morning of my final.

4. Waking up to inches of fresh snow on Christmas morning.

5. Christmas lunch of homemade tamales and plenty of guacamole.

6. Tiny baby shoes, including clogs and Vans (tres impractical, but adorable).

7. Eating pizza by candlelight with Josh during a multiple-hour blackout (we didn't have a flashlight to find our flashlights).

8. Driving to the airport with Kristin in a semi-snow storm on a heavily salted freeway without wiper fluid. I always forget how essential wiper fluid is during a Utah winter.

9. Singing our guts out on my family's new karaoke machine.

10. Playing hearts for hours with Josh's family and eating many varieties of yummy pie.

11. Drinking hot chocolate at Starbucks while going through the baby name book with Josh (what ARE we going to name this child?)

12. New Year's Eve spent at dinner and a movie (Juno), filming the final closing of edited movie stores for Josh's doc, and drinking Martinellis on the couch before dancing in our living room, remembering getting engaged five years before at the same moment.

13. Attending a really nice funeral for Josh's cousin, who was such a funny kid and is at peace now after so much mental anguish.

14. Trying to keep up with my dad, Diana, and Jon at an extended game of Nerts.

15. Watching Josh "snowboard" on the big dolly carts at Ikea and seeing him try to look nonchalant about how much fun he was having.

16. Beginning the HUGE cleaning/rearranging process to make way for the baby nursery, including the realization that we have 900 inches of media.

17. Seeing Josh's family from out of town, including Abbie who immediately lifted my shirt and pronounced that she loved the tiny baby in there.

18. A Turley family Christmas party where it was announced that my aunt Deon is running--as a Democrat--for the Utah State Legislature.

19. Making caramels with Josh and talking up the "pouring in the cream" stage so much that he actually filmed it, only to find that it wasn't quite as exciting as I had remembered it as a kid.

20. Feeling so thankful for everything I have, but mostly all the people I love around me.

6 comments:

sarah said...

how did you like Juno?? I saw it New Years Eve and loved it. It made me tear up at the end.

Rachael said...

i'm glad you had such a delicious holiday! i loved reading about it. and i'm excited to see what you two come up with in the name department!

Ben and Lori said...

Lovely.

Rachel Mae said...

LOVED Juno. Josh was laughing afterwards because he said I had a huge smile on my face every time he looked over at me (when I wasn't crying).

Susie said...

Oh yeah, I notice MY name was left out of the Nert's game. I did play a role you know. That of making Diana worry that I was going senile.

Deon Turley said...

One of the greatest compliments of the season was finding myself as #18 on your list. Thanks a bunch!