

Here are my two favorite images from the ultrasound. The top one is a profile shot and you can kind of see her puckering her lips (though it's easier to see on the DVD). The bottom one cracks me up because she has her legs crossed exactly like Josh crosses his. So many mornings I'll wake up to find him "posed" (asleep) with an arm up under his head and his legs crossed at the ankles. Our meishka was positioned just like that for much of the ultrasound.
And I should explain the name "meishka." But to do that, I need to explain the name "pinhead." Upon learning that I was pregnant, Josh and I spent some time browsing pregnancy books in Borders and one of them told us our baby was the size of a "pinhead"--and the name just stuck. Though its use horrified Josh's grandpa, it really was an affectionate term. However, now that we know there is a little girl in there, she seems so much more human and "pinhead" didn't quite fit anymore, so she's become "meishka," which means "little girl" in Flemish (Josh served his mission in Belgium and the Netherlands). I love the way it sounds and, considering the pace at which legitimate name choosing is going, our daughter may in fact end up bearing a very self-descriptive label--descriptive until age 10 or so anyway.
On the name front, to what extent do you think it matters if the first and last names end in similar sounds? One name we're considering is Zoe, but does it sounds too sing-songy with Ligairi? (For the uninitiated, in English Ligairi is pronounced lah-GARE-ee; don't ask me to pronounce it in Fijian.)
Anyway, what I really wanted to write in this post is that seeing meishka was so magical and not scary at all, even though she did look a little skeletonish at times. She has a cute skeleton. Now, the couple of times that the tech decided to go 3D on her face were a little frightening (I will NOT be getting one of those ultrasounds ever), but other than that it was just marvelous. I'm already in love with her little legs, her spine, her arm--you name it. I think I've watched the DVD of the ultrasound more times than any other movie in my life (with perhaps the embarrassing exception of Newsies--I was 8, folks).
I can't wait to meet this baby!
7 comments:
Zoe-real cute. Meishka, even cuter. Isn't it amazing when you see those ultrasounds? It's such a strange concept, yet so magical at the same time to see that in fact you do have a child inside. Just wait till you start having crazy dreams that you take her out just to make sure she's ok and and put her back in.
I like Zoe...I don't think it's too sing-songy, actually. I figure that the girlies are going to get a new last name in another 20 or 25 years anyway...so as long as it's not something horrible (for instance, I wouldn't name any of my daughters Hailey or something like that) you're pretty good. :-) But I think Zoe is cute! And btw, if you end up permanently naming her Meishka, I think that's just darling. Although Meishka Ligairi is kind of a mouthful...she would probably forever be spelling her name for people. So maybe it's just better as a nickname.
First thing I need to say is that I LOVE Newsies! Spot Conlon won my heart when I was a meishka. He was so dreamy! Second thing is that I love the name Zoe. Are you gonna spell it with 2 little dots above the e? Either way it's darling and you can always give her a middle name in case it ever becomes a problem. Plus it doesn't rhyme in a ridiculous way like Mary or Carrie. That would just be bad.
oh, i should clarify. hailey isn't a bad name, but hailey bailey is.
I like Zoe. It sounds cute! I can see what you mean about her lips now. They look like they will be nice and plump. Too cute. I have to admit that I still pull up my baby's ultrasound pictures at least once a week to stare at them. And they don't look like aliens do they?!
So fun! I won't be finding out what I have for another 10 weeks give or a take few. I'm jealous! Although, I did just realize I am 1/4 the way through my pregnancy.
I remember waiting for the day that I would see my babies for the first time. I think that the most amazing thing was hearing the heart beat. Suddenly I wasn't just pregnant it was reality.
Babies are so much.... there are not words to describe. Some how our language is missing words that give an acurate description of the feeling.
All I can say is that every sleepless night, every time you contemplate prozac, every single poopy diaper is worth just one smile from a little baby that you were so blessed and honored to beable to give a name. A name they will carry for the rest of their lives, one they will hopefully like, and even more importantly answer to with pride, right!
Best of luck. We had the hardest time with Keilani and Jimmy (James).
Post a Comment