Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A reassurance, a plan, a fear, and a complaint from a pregnant woman

(Don't worry, I'm no where near this big yet, though I do feel like I "popped" out this week.)

I had my second official appointment with the midwives today, and everything looks good. We heard the heartbeat again and actually recorded it this time. I'll post it soon, though I'm sure no one is nearly as interested in that sound as we are. But what a delightful sound it is! (Though Josh is half-jokingly convinced that the machine makes the sound--he still can't quite believe there's a baby in there.)

And I have my ultrasound date: December 19--the day we will find out if our child will have a good name or lots of cute clothes. Just kidding. Kind of. We have two boy names picked out already but are having a tougher time with the girl names, but I have oh-so-many cute little-girl-baby dresses from the sale rack when I worked at the Gap (I know, I know, it was premature. What can I say? I like to plan ahead). Josh actually doesn't want to find out the gender at all, but that is not even an option for me. I don't care if curiosity killed the cat. I'm no feline.

However, I have to say I'm sort of nervous about the "face" shot on the ultrasound. I've seen a couple of images of these now, and I'm sorry to say that they utterly freak me out. And Josh? Well, the words "nightmares for the rest of my life" tumbled from his lips when I showed him one. The profiles are so adorable and look like a little baby, but from the front? Total alien. I think it's partly because I've always been really scared of things that were part human or in the process of transformation (like the Shaggy Dog, for instance--no, really). Anyone else have this problem at their "big" ultrasound or was it just so cool to see the baby that it didn't phase you?

Speaking of pre-natal care (WARNING: this next part is slightly gross, though not in the grand scheme of pregnancy-related topics), what is the deal with peeing into the blue cups? We live in the twenty-first century with technology that allows us to buy anything we want from where ever we want without even standing up and no one has invented a smarter/cleaner way to do this?! I mean, what would be so hard about designing some sort of contraption that automatically catches pee in the toilet, then siphons it into some pre-labeled container? It can't be that hard. I think pregnant women of the world should unite and push for such an invention.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A hilarious post, Rachel! :-)

ohana=)mama said...

Then you would have to touch the toilet and not just the cup. Hummmm... but there has got to be a better way you're right.

I will have to warn you though the pregnancy experience will soon have you feeling that your body is not your own and somehow it's ok for strangers to examine parts of you that you rarely see yourself. It's all fun and games from here on out.

Good luck! It's all worth it and you would do it again in a second.

Rachael said...

i am TOTALLY with you on the freaked out by the ultrasound thing. when i went in with juliet, the tech said "wow, what a beautiful face shot!" and she printed out 8 of them, and i hid them all when i got home because i thought they were really scary looking.

Ben and Lori said...

Yeah it's kind of freaky, but it's cool, but it's freaky.

If you get freaked with the normal ultrasound, don't even think about the 3D one. The baby's eyes were open when we did it, and the 3D screen makes the baby's eyes look white... need I say more.

Angie said...

Ultrasounds are amazing. I can't wait to hear what your having. I hate the pee thing as well. So your using a midwife? Are you delivering at home or a hospital? How do you like her?

Rachel Mae said...

I go to the midwives in Pleasant Grove. There are like 6 of them. I'm having the baby in a hospital and they are associated with three doctors, who are there in case something goes wrong or I need a C-section or whatever.

The midwives actually stay with their patients during the entire labor, not just the delivery. Because of that, they take turns being on call. So you get to know all of them over the course of your appointments and could end up with any of them at the labor. I like them all a lot though. My mom had Jesse with them and had a great experience. They have a 5% C-section rate as opposed to 30% nationally, don't automatically do episiotomies, etc. I just really like their philosophy.

Angie said...

That sounds pretty nice. My OB was in the delivery room for maybe 5 minutes total. The fact that the midwives know you and stick by you during labor is very appealing.

kelsey said...

The spine shots from the ultrasounds are probably the scariest! And Bob said that our baby looked like an alien during the ultrasound. He actually says that all babies look weird even after they are born. I am waiting till our little baby is born to hear him say that again...