I don't know how you all felt about the talk Sister Beck (Relief Society president of the LDS church) gave at the last General Conference, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but it was very difficult for me to listen to. It wasn't that I disagree with the importance of having children or even with the general thrust of the talk, but I felt like it focused on some of the least important aspects of the amazing, divine role that is motherhood (such as appearances and housework) at the expense of the things that really matter. I've talked to many other women who felt similarly.
I was forwarded a statement by a friend that sums up many of my feelings on the matter beautifully. It's written by thoughtful, faithful LDS women, and I'm glad there is such a collective voice. Read it here. I don't mean to set this response up as a counterpoint necessarily to Sister Beck's talk, as I would hope that Sister Beck would agree with much of what is written here, but I think the document does a good job of extended and reshaping a narrative of motherhood and womanhood.
1 comment:
When I was watching it, it did kind of make me smile/laugh, but I kind of took it with a grain of salt. The way she said things kind of rubbed the wrong way, however, it didn't change the way I feel about my role in life and didn't disagree with the gist of her talk. I guess it depends on what was said and what my belief about the subject is, but a lot of the time I just shrug things like that off without too much thought, but I think it's cool that others were more thoughtful about it. Interesting comment Rach.
Post a Comment