Okay, I've been "tagged," so here goes (a little belatedly):
1. A while ago, Josh was reading a magazine article, looked up, and asked me if I ever count my steps when I walk. I realized I do. Turns out he was reading a list of OCD symptoms. But believe me--if you saw my house, you would know that I don't actually suffer from that disorder. I generally (well, at least before I was pregnant and slept all the time) keep things picked up, but dusting? What's that?
2. My mom kept her last name, so I grew up with a hyphenated one. She decided to do this in the throes of the early feminist movement in Berkeley, CA. But I lived the name--and explained it 10,672 times--in Provo, Utah. Not only was my last name hyphenated, it was also really hard to spell and pronounce and was so long that only half of my last name and first name appeared on class rolls. I had teachers with straight faces call out "Rock" during roll (not how I would pronounce "Rac," but there you have it). My current last name, though Josh considers it a spelling and pronunciation nightmare, is a cake-walk by comparison.
3. I have a BA and MA in English. I'm a writing teacher. I'm an editor. But writing still feels like pulling my teeth out a lot of the time. Well, maybe not the writing itself, but the thought of writing.
4. I have been to every country in Western Europe except Portugal (so silly with all the Spain visits!) and Ireland. I really, really want to go to Cuba and a lot more of Latin America. Josh has been scared of Latin America ever since crowds of vendors tried to sell him things at a Mexican stop on our honeymoon cruise. He couldn't believe that I would just walk past those vendors without even a glance, let alone a polite expression of regret at not being able to buy their wares.
5. Josh and I call the baby-in-utero "pinhead," a nickname derived from one of the early weeks in our pregnancy book (when the baby was the size of a pinhead). It's a term of endearment, I promise.
6. I don't know if I'll ever go for the PhD, mostly because I think I lack the personality for such intense specialization. But I have been in school (as a student and/or teacher) now for 22 years. Straight. I don't know what's going to happen when I stop teaching--or at least take a break--next year. Yikes.
7. I often dream about houses, literally. Like I go on house tours in my dreams at night. This is something I've inherited from my mom.
I suppose I'm supposed to "tag" someone now? How about Lori, Angie, and Raschel.
3 comments:
Hey!! Crapola these things are hard. I love that you love houses. It is a passion you and I share.
ahh rachel i feel for the hyphunated name(however you spell it). i too have suffered through a plethora of explanations. the computer cuts turley into "tu" you'd be amazed how many teachers i've had who ask me what asian country i'm from.
This blog was posted before my blogging days but I enjoyed your random things very much! Especially the dreams of houses. I do the same thing. I have a reoccurring dream about a house with all these secret rooms and hidden places. Every time I dream it, even now, I am a child in the dream.
Post a Comment