Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Court (or "Jailbird part II")

Well, I was right--the movie truck incident was to blame for Josh's arrest. Josh's court appearance today was pretty uneventful. He showed up, found out what he was being charged with (expired registration--on a truck that wasn't his--and "failure to secure a load," meaning that the truck's drive line had dropped out). That and "failure to appear" in court for a court date he was never informed of.

Needless to say, he pleaded "not guilty," and that was it. The judge scheduled a pre-trial date in January. That's when Josh will get to explain the story to a judge. Hopefully everything will be dropped, and if not, the production company will pay the fine.

The most disturbing part of the whole experience were the other people there. I had no idea there were so many drunk drivers and domestic abusers in Provo! Yikes.

Also, the judge (who came in at 9:45 though everyone's appointment was at 9:00) would always start by giving this really scary-sounding sentence: the woman who plead guilty to a DUI was sentenced to 180 days in jail and something like $13,000. Then he waived everything but 2 days in jail and $1,300. Then he said she could do 48 hours community service instead of the jail and could make monthly payments. I think our justice system likes giving people heart attacks (not that a drunk driver doesn't deserve one).

The really funny thing? That DUI woman's boyfriend, upon walking out of the courtroom, said "Why would you choose community service?! In jail you get to watch TV and you get free food. It's way better."

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Is it ok that I laughed about this when you posted the first part? Whenever stuff like this happens in my life I like to think of it in terms of, "this will make such a good story some day". Good story!

Let me know if you try the onesies. I am interested to see what other people will do.

Katrina said...

So I totally laughed too! I can't believe what the chick's boyfriend said about jail being better than community service!

Rachel Mae said...

Laughing is A-OK. We've been laughing through the whole thing, especially when we "got to talk" for 30 seconds in the back of the cop car. All we could do was laugh.

Rachael said...

always good to know that our justice system is "working," eh? glad to know we're motivating people to stay out of jail and all that.

oh, the ice-breaker story this will make!