Friday, November 9, 2007

Lowell Pictures

Many Lowell pictures to come (finally got them from my dad). Just a warning--they're mostly buildings. It was me walking around the city with a camera for a couple days.

Lots of Bricks
I love brick buildings and Lowell was full of them. Here are some random shots from around town (including some non-brick things).



Churches
A very small sampling of the gorgeous churches in Lowell.



Mill
The water that powered the textile mill (and view from my hotel room), the mill compound itself, the stairs the workers had to trek up and down each day, the loom room, and close-ups of looms. There is something beautiful about the repetition of the looms and even the pieces that made up each loom. The factory itself was like a fabric of sorts.



Houses
I'm a house nut, and I fell in love with the houses in Lowell. There were more normal sized houses too, but these were some of the most spectacular ones that greeting me on my drive in.



Kerouac and Guthrie
The actual scroll on which Kerouac wrote On the Road and a Woodie Guthrie tribute show (part of the Lowell Celebrates Kerouac! festival). I heard some lyrics to Guthrie songs I'd never heard before, like this last verse to This Land is Your Land:

In the squares of the city--In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office--I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

2 comments:

kelsey said...

Again, awesome pictures! I love the white staircase one.

Ben and Lori said...

cool pictures. You did a great job taking them. LOVE the houses and buildings, so beautiful. That is actually the biggest reason I would want to move to the east, for the beautiful structures, history and trees.