Friday, March 13, 2009

Packing light

These shoes are the one item I already know I'm packing. They're Volcom (who knew Volcom made shoes?) but I got them cheap at TJ Max and wear them almost daily. They're versitile, comfy--I bet I could jog in them if I had to--and they fulfill the ever important slip-on requirement.

I'm sure I've mentioned already (probably several times) that we're about to embark on a major trip. On April 21, we're going to Spain, where we'll stay for a couple months and then travel to a few places around Europe for a couple weeks after that. Rather than share my rising anxiety about flying for a double-digit number of hours with a one-year-old and then getting that one-year-old over jet lag, I'm going to talk about clothes.

Part I

It's been over five years since I quit working at The Gap. I'd gotten a job there through a friend upon returning from teaching literacy in Mexico. So it started for the money (ha!), but I ended up staying for a year or two mostly for the clothes.

I can't stand paying full price for clothing. Especially when nothing ever stays full price--at least not at the places I shop. The 50% discount I got at The Gap meant that by the time I stopped working there, I had a robust collection of basics--jeans, trousers, blazers, solid tees, simple skirts, and sweaters.

And that collection is now over five years old. I've bought a few things here and there (mostly when I was pregnant), but nothing much. Also, I've since stopped teaching so my wardrobe options are a lot wider now that I don't have to look so "professional" all the time.

Part II

We're flying on discount European air carriers a couple times, and while they have amazing prices (like it costs less to fly from Barcelona to Madrid then fill our car up with gas), they have measly luggage allowances. Plus Zoë doesn't get a suitcase. So, we're packing light.

I'm not exactly good at packing light. For instance, when my family went to the Dominican Republic for four months, I brought an entire suitcase of shoes. Granted, I was 16. Nevertheless, my packing style tends to be throw everything in a suitcase I might ever want to wear so that I can come up with the outfit I'm in the mood for on the spot.

Part III

My point is this: If I'm going to have to wear the same three outfits in rotation (and I am), I'm at least going to start out with clothes I'm not already exceedingly bored of.

So, I'm on a mission to purchase a few new versitile basics. And while it still hurts me to pay full price, this is giving me some food for thought.

The Question

What 6 items of clothing would you bring for two months of straight wearing (and lots of picture taking)? And if you didn't have them already, where would you go to look for them?

10 comments:

Katrina said...

1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 1 comfy skirt, 3 t-shirts that can go with all of the above, and then a light sweater or jacket. Gap or Old Navy have all this for reasonable prices. Good luck!

nichole said...

1 pair of dark (day/evening) KILLER jeans, 1 classic cut short/capri... these also have to be able to be dressed up, 1 comfortable and beautiful skirt that make you feel like a million bucks.

then one comfortable shirt (think a step or two above t-shirt.) One that is another step and the last being one that when worn with the skirt is your "fancy" outfit... BUT STILL COMFORTABLE...

and Katrina has the right idea with a light jacket.

two shoes... flats and nice flats.

and three or tour accessories that work with all the outfits... scarfs, fun necklaces, etc. These are really what makes each outfit feel different... a scarf can be worn 1001 different ways.

and if you need a shopping partner... please let me know!

we are jealous and will miss you!

Rachel Rowell said...

I don't really have a suggestion of what to bring since I'm no good at packing light, but this post did remind me of something from your last trip to Spain. Ruth brought like five shirts that she wore over and over. By the end of the trip she told me she wanted to burn them and never see them again. So funny!

Interesting blog post you referred to. I do agree with the first person's comment though (she happened to be named rachel too) about it simply not being practical for most people to spend 100 dollars on a jacket, even if it will be worn a lot.

Nate and Nicole said...

I agree with others who have commented... 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of capri type pants, and 1 skirt that can be casual or dressier.

I would stick with either clothes that go with black or clothes that go with brown to limit accessories, shoes, belts, etc.

For capri pants, if you want to buy a new pair (and are willing to pay because they are expensive), I love the JCrew city fit capri. I had a gift card there, and I bought them and wear them all the time. I think they can be dressed up or casual.

Bring 2-3 t-shirts, a button-down shirt (again - JCrew is great, if you wanta pay for it!), a cardigan or two (I feel like cardigans can be dressed up or down), and a light sweater or jacket. All in solid, plain colors. Otherwise you'll get so sick of whatever you've brought! When I have to pack lightly, I tend to stick with colors like black, white, gray, navy. Boring, but at least you won't look back at pictures and go, "seriously? I thought that loud shirt looked okay on me?"

Those would be my ideas, take 'em or leave 'em. You're going to have such a great time. I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Nate and Nicole said...

Oh, and my advice for your jet-lagged one year old, don't try to force the time change too much. Let her sleep when she wants to sleep (and she will sleep, she'll be exhausted, it just might not be exactly when you want her to sleep for the first little bit).

When we took Will (at eight months old) to England, he adjusted within 3 or 4 days pretty well. Being on the go and not getting to take a decent, uninterrupted nap during the day helped him adjust, because he'd be so exhausted by the time we got back to our hotel in the evening that he'd be out for the night (for the most part).

Good luck :)!

Elisa said...

Gap/Old Navy/Banana is having their friends and family 30% off sale right now. Tomorrow is the last day. I think most Gap's stuff is NOT cute right now, but their pant and jeans may be good. :) Good Luck!

Danielle said...

ooh. I have been thinking about this a lot too...well not packing light, but my wardrobe. I have been trying to clean out my closet and get together clothes that fit and go together. I have none since being 7 different sizes in the past two years. I read that girls blog too and I have to say I totally agree with the buying fewer, but better quality items. I think you might want to go that route. Nicer clothes will hold up to wearing over and over, and you don't want to feel yucky in cheap clothes.

Anyway, I like Katrina's list of things to have. That sounds versatile. I would maybe not go to Old Navy, because their clothes seem to be kind of cheap and never fit me, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Amy said...

I pair of jeans, (Gap for sure) 1 casual/dressy skirt of neutral color. Seagul book and tape sells some great skirts from a company in Utah at a discount. They also have great plain T's for cheap, like 7 bucks.

I guess if you are going in the summer, some shorts or capris. And the rest some comfortable Tee shirts. ones that can be worn with all of your bottoms. I love Ross and TJ max for good casual and cheap T's.

Crolace said...

I don't know if you need to bring any shorts or capris if you're already bringing one or two skirts. I'm all about skirts for versatility. Skirts, skirts, skirts. A skirt with a blouse and heels: you're dressed up. A skirts with a t-shirt and flip-flops: you're dressed down. Skirts are the best. I find really cute skirts at Target sometimes. I buy almost all of my clothes at Target becuase they're open at more convenient hours for me.

It may sound weird, but for packing light, I wouldn't even bring jeans. Bring Khakis or slacks. They pack smaller, I think they can be more comfortable, and they can be just as casual as jeans.

Did my friend Megan ever get back to you about that family in Germany?

Joshua Ligairi said...

I knew Volcom made shoes. How did that packing light thing turn out?