Two years ago to the week, Josh was headed up to Park City for a job at the Sundance Film Festival, when our car Timothy blew up (one of many blow ups, as you know). So he walked a few miles in the snow to the nearest gas station. While he waited for me to drive to Park City and rescue him, he watched a docu-drama (directed by Micahel Winterbottom, one of his favorites) called Road to Guantánamo on his iPod.
When I picked him up, he was terrified. Terrified of the arbitrary nature of the arrests many prisoners at Guantánamo suffered and terrified by the fact that they couldn't get a trial. The fact that Josh has experienced genunine racial profiling (once by the FBI even! during the Salt Lake Olypmic games) made the issue all the more scary to him.
I know I've recommended this before, but to really understand the tragic magnitude of the violations of Habeas corpus--the right to be charged with a crime--and how prevelant such violations were at Guantánamo, listen to this. You won't regret it.
Well, today President Obama officially ordered the closure of Guantánamo. And I don't care what else happens during his presidency, he has now made good on his campaign mantra if you ask me. This is a change that matters.
For a hilarious look at a "Gitmo closing ad," go here. Thank you, SNL.
5 comments:
Yes, thank goodness! I'm so glad Obama acted on this so quickly. Have you guys seen Rendition? There is a short documentary on the DVD that is SO disturbing. It is really appalling what our government has done these past few years.
I haven't seen that (maybe Josh has though). I'll have to check it out.
I saw that on the news today and I was so grateful. I also watched the SNL short. I don't know if that is funny or sickening. . .
Yeah--it's both.
I was so pleased that this was one of the first things for him to do in office. I am definitely looking forward to the next four years.
Post a Comment