Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Baby beluga

"Baby beluga in the deep blue sea, you swim so wild and you swim so free . . ." Remember that Raffi song? Well our "little white whale on the go" started swimming lessons yesterday. She was too cute in her little swimming suit. She was a bit overwhelmed by so much water and so many people (especially having just awoken from a nap), but she had a lot of fun.


First, we practiced kicking (a skill that, the youngest in the class, doesn't interest Zoë) to get rubber ducks (eating the duck definitely does interest her).

Then we practiced "jumping" off the side of the pool on the count of three. This part got a little cold.

This was followed by the most exciting part of the lesson--head dunking. Placing one's child's head underwater rather goes against motherly instinct, I have to say. But I placed my faith in the hands of the swimming teacher, blew hard into Zoë's face to induce breath holding, and dunked away. Though it's hard to see in this picture, she came out a bit surprised and blinking, but otherwise happy. This means, I was told, she did indeed hold her breath. Amazing!*

Next came the backfloat, which went well except instead of lying flat, this whale likes to . . .

. . . suck on her toes, of course.

Overall, it was a fun excuse to splash and cuddle and pretend like it's not the freezing middle of January.

*My mom tells me that as an "early" talker, I was the only baby in a similar class that could say "No Mommy, please don't put my head under the water! Please!" If Zoë could say that, it would all be over. Instead, I prefer to think that she likes the development of this new skill.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! Where do you go for the lesson? I bet Avery would love that. She is a little fish.

I love the photo of her sucking her toes.

kelsey said...

Wow, how fun! What a cute little swimmer. It's amazing how much babies seem to like the water...at least mine does. I guess maybe it comes from spending nine months swimming in our belly.

Rachel Mae said...

The lessons are at the Provo Rec--they're twice a week for a few weeks.

Rachel Rowell said...

How fun! I need to do that too (with Joshua of course, although I probably do need them myself:).

Ben and Lori said...

I did that with Brandon and he was not so cooperative. I can't blame him, it was sooo cold at the provo rec. Zoe looks so cute in her little swimming suit!

Angie said...

FUN! I wish I could do this with Jenna up here...or better yet, with you guys.