Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Eight months old

I'm eight months old!

And boy was it a busy month.



First, my Uncle Jesse got home from Austria. Frankly, I didn't even remember I had an Uncle Jesse. He's been gone half my life, you know. But I warmed up to him.


I take big girl baths now. It's easier to play with toys and lay on my back while Daddy slides me up and down and I kick my legs. I can't wait for swimming lessons next month!

You might think my head is big, but I still fit into my newborn hat--so there.
I helped pick out a Christmas tree. I like the spikiest kind.

I played the piano with Grandpa. I'm pretty good if I don't say so myself. I make Grandpa sound better anyway. He just sort of bangs away.
I don't share Mommy's fear of spiders, I guess.


I went to my first concert--the Bar J Wranglers from Jackson Hole. Grandma Jane thought I should wear cowgirl boots, so she got me some.

I like to yell a lot these days. Did you know my voice can go really high?
I also learned to play "pattycake"! I clap along with Mama every time.


I like eating mice--stuffed and otherwise.

I got sick with a cough and a runny nose, but at least my cheeks were nice and rosy.
Back arching comes in handy because there is always something more interesting to look at behind me.
Even though I still don't really like food (though I'll eat some avacado), I do like sitting in my own chair now.


I went sledding and it was fun, but even penguins get cold sometimes.

My hair grew so much that Mommy could put it in a pony tail on the top of my head on Christmas day!

I'm very long now.
Eight months old today!

* * *

This month has been the most fun so far. Zoë is so cute (I didn't know she could get any cuter, but she can!) and so interactive--it's a blast.

Zoë's tricks: She started out the month doing these fast head shakes that were hilarious. We made sure to ask her questions like "do you want to stay up all night?" to which she would emphatically gesture "no." Lots of "talking" this month. She started out doing really soft, high tones. Then she started saying "bla bla bla" (tongue out)--often when Josh and I were in the middle of a conversation. Sometimes she would do "silent blahs," just moving her mouth. Those were Josh's favorite. That evolved to "la la la," then "na na na," "ma ma ma," "da da da," and "teh teh teh." Josh swears that she calls me "na na na," and though I don't entirely believe it, she does often make that noise when I hand her to him and she wants me or when she's hungry. And lately, when Josh comes into a room she often says "da da da." First words? Probably not. But she's definitely getting ready. Pattycake was the most exciting. She just started clapping (one hand closed) along with me on Chirstmas Eve. I didn't think it was on purpose at first, but she does it almost every time now, even if she just hears the words.

Zoë likes: Sitting up! Eating tags--they're more interesting than any toy they're on. The snaps on Mommy's blue sweater; they're so interesting, she has to stop nursing to stare and suck on them. Playing with toys. Reading books with Daddy. "Swimming" in the bathtub. Playing the piano. Biting things--hard. Milk with a side of avacados. Lying on me to nurse (the more cuddling the better). Grandma Jane's dogs. Kicking her left shoe--always the left--off. Jumping.

Zoë doesn't like: Any non-sitting up position. Getting her neck dried after a bath (granted, it does require a lot of excavating to find her neck). Teething (she has four teeth now!). Being held by anyone but me when she first wakes up. Getting her nose plunged (can't blame her). She shows her unhappiness by crinkling up her nose in a very fetching way.

2 comments:

Crolace said...

Hi Rachel!

Thought I'd reply here where you're more likely to see it.

I did serve in the Frankfurt mission, but I was only actually in Frankfurt for the last 6 weeks of my mission. I spent the rest of the time in Mainz and Duisburg. I'm not really in much contact with anyone in Frankfurt these days.

What do you need? You can email me at first name dot last name at gmail.

Happy New Year!

Carole

PS, Cute, cute baby!

Rachel Rowell said...

You always have suck cute comments to put with each picture. She sure is growing up!