
That's right, you can now buy me--or at least a reconfigured version of one of my thesis chapters--on Amazon . . . not that you'd want to (nor do I want you to--I don't benefit monetarily in any way).
But if you did, you would open up the front cover and see this scintillating title attached to my name:

(I'll save you the need to enlarge it. It's a classic academic title, colon and all. "When Mexico Looks Like Mexico: The Hyperrealization of Race and the Pursuit of the Authentic." I'll also save you the trouble of reading the chapter--if you say the title 10 times fast, you basically get the same idea.
Here's a more serious summary. In my essay, I dissect the way in which Jack Kerouac (the most famous of the Beats) uses Mexico in his book On the Road. According to the book's editor, "Ligairi reveals how Sal Paradise's perceptions of what is real and what is only simulated determine his response to the unfamiliar people and places he encounters on his journeys in the United States and especially Mexico." There. That was easier than writing my own summary.
I have to say that I giggled when I saw my name on the back cover:

I realize that unless you're a Kerouac scholar that list of names won't mean much to you, but it includes some of the "big names" in the field, and it's fun to be listed with some of the people I read and cited in my thesis.
In fact, being published is just plain fun overall. I can see how it could get addicting. I might try it again in the near-ish future.
I'm kind of nervous about one thing though. Do you ever go back and read a paper you wrote in college or high school--a paper you thought was really smart and eloquent at the time--and realize it's actually total crap? It seems like the downside of having work published is the public nature of that inevitable "this is crap" realization.
* * *
Hi, this is Josh taking over the rest of the blog post. I also have three new releases that I don't recommend. Okay, I recommend them with serious qualifications. Just like Rachel, I think it is fun to see something that you worked on in the store, on Amazon, or on a billboard.

The first is that sister missionary movie that we shot in Austria last summer, The Errand of Angels. It played in theaters this fall is now out on DVD. It is a decent family movie if you are LDS. It's pretty low key and the first 20 minutes kind of suck, but the film rises above the general expectations of a Mormon movie after it gets going. I would not be surprised or offended in any way if you don't like this film. The most common response I get to this flick is, "Wow, that was better than I thought." If you could stomach movies like Saints and Soldiers or The Best Two Years, this is on that level. The story and bad script aside, I am pretty proud of the work I did on the film (as Production Designer) designing sets, props, and wardrobe as well as shooting the behind-the-scenes that are on the DVD. As you can see by the photo, you could buy it at WalMart if you wanted to, but I'd advise against that. If you are the kind of person that would buy this DVD, you might as well support the home team and buy it at Deseret Book. Should be available online as well.

The next, Pirates of the Great Salt Lake, is the strangest and hardest to recommend. People have been asking about this movie for years and frankly, I wasn't sure it would ever come out. Then, all of the sudden, it was bought up by The Weinstein Company (the guys who started Miramax) early this year. It had a limited release in New York and LA and is now on DVD as a "Blockbuster Exclusive." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but as you can see from my photos it is available for rent at Blockbuster and apparently for sale at Amazon. I was the prop master, locations manager, and second unit director for this film. I also shot a behind-the-scenes featurette that is available to view online. That said, you are probably not going to like this movie. This is a dumb comedy that the Weinstein's are marketing as "wacky" and is often compared to Napoleon Dynamite. Also, despite the title and Kirby Heyborne, this is not a Mormon movie in any way. In fact, it's a little dirty. It is beautifully shot in some gorgeous Utah locations, but it is also just plain silly. Beware the pirates!

This last flick is easy to recommend to a very small audience. The Up Beat is about the ska explosion of the 90's, specifically in Utah. If you were around those days, like I was, and ever went out to the local ska or punk rock shows, you'll probably love this documentary. Otherwise, you'll be bored out of your mind. I love it and would advise you to either pick it up (hahaha get it) online at the official website (TheUpBeatMovie.com) or see it at a film or music festival near you.
Please know that I am not offended if you hate these movies. For now it is just a job. When we start getting into movies I've directed I will take it personally. For now, I could care less. I'd also like to mention that Rachel is just being modest above. Her article is really good and an interesting read. You just have to be familiar with On the Road and academic writing or it is a little inaccessible. Also, remind me to explain to Rachel the difference between becoming a published author whose work is available on Amazon.com as apposed to an Amazon Woman. Pretty sure there is a big distinction there.
13 comments:
Josh, so POFGSL is really available? I'm waiting for my Oscar nomination, Best Supporting Background.
oooh that is so cool. I am impressed Rachel by your publication. I think that I would like to read it. Except then I might become super intimidated by how how smart you are and be afraid to have you read anything I write. And I think of you both every time I pass the giant Errand of Angels billboard on I-15.
Someday when you are both super famous can I say that I blog knew you?
Okay Rachel, that is so cool. Congrats!
And, I'm glad you have the "this is crap" realizations, too. I thought maybe it's just me because my stuff really is crap??! (Which still might be the case, but it makes me feel better that YOU sometimes think that as well about your own stuff). I can't even look at my thesis...
yay for you!!
ok, so here's my problem--when I go back and read stuff from grad school, like my thesis, I think, "Hmm...I think my thinking is becoming less sophisticated with every new class of undergrads that I teach. Can I still write this way if I actually try?"
Although when I got an offer to have a thesis chapter published, I turned it down because I honestly didn't want to wade through all the theory I'd need to read in order to make the necessary revisions. So way to go you for publishing and putting all the work in!!
Congratulations to you both!!! You are both so smart and good at what you do. I'm honored to call you my friends.
I think I might like that ska documentary. I remember those days...
That is so cool Rachel! Really really awesome!
.
Having just met you at Motley Vision and this post being the first I learn of you, I have to ask: Did you read Coke Newell's On the Road to Heaven? And if so, what is your take, as a Kerouac scholar?
Rachel I am so impressed with you!! Congradafreakinlations! I don't really understand exactly what you were talking about when you were explaining what your thesis was about, but I am sure it is great! Also congrats to Josh!!!
Th.--I haven't read that big (hadn't even heard of it, actually), but it looks super interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Personally Rachel, I believe I will see your name in print in the future. You began writing at the age of four and have been writing since. I am sure you will end up publishing more. (no pressure, it is just what I feel)
Well it's good to know how to access both of your works. As for Rachel I am very interested in reading the article. I don't think I'll buy the book so I might have to come over and check it out. Josh, I recorded the Errand of Angels on the DVR at my parents and I'm still trying to find a minute to get over there and watch it. Also I've only watched the trailors for the Pirates of the Great Salt Lake but I do remember raising an eyebrow and giving a confused chuckle. I did watch a film of sorts shot at the castle in Provo(I think) by chance On Demand and I certainly had a good laugh watch that!
Anyhow, it's fun keeping up with you two, my creative friends. I love you both!
How exciting to be published! You should be very proud. I am going to have to check out that ska film. Sounds interesting.
Amazon woman? What, you only have 1 breast!
Post a Comment