Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Road trip

After much consideration, Josh and I decided not to subject the rest of my family to the every-2-3-hour pit-stops and potential back-seat screaming that a road trip with Zoë would entail. So, as I mentioned in my last post, she and I flew to Oakland rather than driving there with the rest of the gang. What I didn't mention was that in order to receive that $200 voucher, Delta had to buy me a ticket on Southwest, and while I was waiting in Southwest's boarding area, I was watching CNN, and on CNN was a story about a family who was "kicked off" of a Southwest flight (i.e. not allowed to board the connecting flight) because their children--first-time fliers--were too noisy. Good thing I don't tend to be anxious by nature. But, like I said, it turned out just fine (as did the flight back, incidentally).


Josh had a much longer trip. Júlia (remember? the one visiting from Catalonia, Spain?) was pretty excited about engaging in the American tradition of the summer road trip. Twelve hours later I'm not sure she felt the same way, but it's hard to tell with her because she's such a good sport. In any case, the car gang, which also included my mom and Jesse, stopped at lots of sites along the way:

The Salt Flats. Photographically cool, but . . .


. . . a little bright.

Júlia didn't get to see Vegas, but Reno is the next best thing, right?

Unfortunately, the normally gorgeous turquoise waters of Lake Tahoe were obscured by smoke . . .


. . . which fortunately made for some gorgeous sunsets in the Bay Area. But in the end, they made it the twelve hours both ways and even lit out on an additional (six hours each way) trip to Los Angeles so Josh could shoot some footage for Cleanflix and Júlia could see Hollywood.


All-in-all, Júlia got her all-American road trip experience, complete with a new found appreciation for real American junk food. Her favorite? Wendy's chicken nuggets.

3 comments:

Jason & Shannon said...

I would much rather fly than drive, but driving does have its perks. It looks like a lot of fun!

Susie said...

thanks for posting the photos of Josh trying to open his eyes while standing on the salt flats!

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

So I'm catching up on blogs-oh and thanks for the reminder I posted what we're having on our blog finally. :) But I just read your blog and love catching up on your life. i love your thoughts too- very fun to read and very close to home. So a couple things- Parker's been on 6 trips involving airplanes (one to Mexico) since he was born (all free until this coming September) so I feel the anxiety of a plane ride. Don't worry, it gets harder. :) JK. Not always. Food co-op sounds interesting- I'm obsessed with fresh vegetables in a garden so that's cool your doing that. Parker was 50% on height, 70& weight and 99% in head so she's still got some growing on that noggen to surpass our boy. :) How's back to work? did you get your new bookshelf at Ikea? I think it's the one I covet. And my sister Angie lives in the Orlando mission- Vero Beach. Although they are moving to NYC in August so will probably never see your cousin. But Jamie Brinton is in Orlando- if you don't know her, Josh will. Maybe she'll serve there. And lastly, I'm reading "birthing from within" and liking it. But maybe I'll save this for an email on facebook. :) Beautiful family RAchel. Beautiful. I love you and Josh as a family and a couple- so perfect. God must really know us.