The main reason for our trip was to visit my sister Diana and her husband Jon. Jon will be attending dental school in San Francisco this Fall. They were in town just long enough to get unpacked before we (Me, Josh, Zoë, Mom, Dad, brother Jesse, and friend from Catalonia, Júlia) decided to invite ourselves down for a visit. The other reason for the trip was to take a final vacation before my maternity leave ends next week. And what a better way to to spend a vacation than on my old stomping grounds, introducing Zoë to our family friends in Berkeley and Albany?

Zoë slept surprisingly well throughout the whole trip (repeating her 6-hour stretch at least 2 more times). This picture is Zoë after her first night in San Francisco, sleeping in on Jon and Diana's new Ikea hide-a-bed.
Josh was ready to pack up and move, which surprised even him because he is such an ardent defender of the joys of living life in Utah. The Bay Area is a great place to be a vegetarian. We had delicious veggie sandwiches, Indian food, and Josh's favorite salads at Cafe Intermezzo. Last time we were in the Bay Area we got these amazing salads at Intermezzo. It's on Telegraph Ave, near UC Berkeley. Josh claims that he occasionally dreams about these salads, and so was very excited to go back. If you're ever in the area, we highly recommend it.

A close second for Josh was the music. Famous punk venues like the Gilman in Berkeley and The Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco. Great live Jazz including Yoshi's in Oakland. And then there are the record stores. Josh couldn't find Epicenter in San Francisco (a store he made a pilgrimage to once in high school), but spent a lot of time in Rasputin Music and Amoeba Records on Telegraph Ave.
We also came close to buying this onsie from a street vendor while on Telegraph, but Josh finally decided against it because "David Sedaris wouldn't approve." If your personal life decisions are based less on the musings of a humorous writer you've never met than Josh's are, visit youngpunks.com to purchase your own election-year onsie for your little Barack Obama supporter.
We also returned to what was our (me and Diana's) favorite park as kids. You bring cardboard to sit on, but if you want to go really fast down this concrete slide (which I swear used to be much bigger), you use the worn piece a local kid hands you like Jon and Diana did.
6 comments:
It's back!
where did this go?
swow...you look so skinny. sorry id that too personal a comment from someone you've never met? well you look great! Also I love David Sedaris, but I do not get the reference. oh well.
Mmm...those salads look so good! I want one right now. You don't really get a sense of how big they really are in the photos. We needed something to show scale. I'm opening a salad shop in Provo. Any investors out there?
The David Sedaris reference comes from his story "Baby Einstein" where he voices his annoyance about babies with shirts that say "another toddler for peace" or "this baby is pro-life" preferring that parents wait until their children can actually talk before voicing their political opinions. As much as I like Barack, I thought it best not to exploit our child (at least until she can hold her head up).
That's a very nice and funny way to explain our trip, and I love all your pictures! I will always remember this trip! :)
Ok so what I really want to know is if Zoe is going to be sporting a Obama onsie and second of all I would really be sad if you two moved. I hope you two aren't too serious!
And Josh... I would love eatting at you salad shop!!! Please call me if you ever do open one!!! I'm be your biggest supporter!
randomly stopped by here and loved that david sedaris enters into your family's choices for onesies. I support your decision as well. though an obama onesie is tempting.
Post a Comment