Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mommy's Day



My dear Meishka,

I’m writing you on my first Mother’s Day. My sweet baby girl, you have a “real” name now, but you are just my Meishka today because that is the name I called you by for at least 4 of the 9 months you were inside me—when it was just you and me (and daddy). When I had your kicks and turns and hiccups all to myself and I could talk to you whenever I wanted about things I was doing or things we would do together when you arrived. When you kept me company at work, on trips away from daddy, in the shower . . . the first time I showered without you at the hospital I caught myself talking to you for a minute before realizing you weren’t there anymore.

Meishka, you had so many people visit you in the hospital who love you so, so much and they were beyond excited to meet you. Your grandma MaryJane held you and cried. Grandma Susan and Grandpa Jeff (I don’t know what we’ll end up calling all of these grandparents exactly) rejoiced over you. Aunt Diana was glued to you and even teenaged Uncle Jesse thought you were amazingly adorable. Great-grandma and grandpa Bean, Aunt Cathy and Caidy, Kristin, Andy and Ana, Sharon, Bill, and Alex—they all came and cried and hugged you and loved you. And there were others too.

But you were still my Meishka. When we got home from the hospital, where we finally gave you the name Zoë Talei for the precious life that you are, I cried. I cried because it felt like my own Meishka had become everyone’s Zoë and in my intensely emotional post-birth state I wasn’t quite sure whether you were the same baby who had shared such an intimate space with me for so long. I wanted you to stay just my Meishka forever. Daddy said that was okay—you could be my Meishka as long as I wanted. We kept you close to us during the next week and put all of those loving visitors on hold so you could stay our Meishka just a little longer.

By the end of the week, I had announced you as Zoë to the hospital, insurance company, and pediatrician. I was now receiving calls for “Zoë’s mom.” And during your second week of life, though I still found it hard to call you solely by your public name without personalizing it a little more, my Zoë you had become.

And so on this, my first officially recognized day as your mother—your mommy—I’m realizing the truth of that saying that to have a child is to have your heart walk around outside of your body. Because you’ll always be my Meishka, the sweet life who shared my heart, my blood, my air, even while you become the strong, beautiful, intelligent Zoë who will make her own way in this world. I can’t wait to see who you become, but while you still fit so snugly in my arms and are still attached through that potent life-force to my breast, I’m going to enjoy all the time I can get with my Meishka. I love you, little girl, more than you will ever know until you feel this mother-love yourself.

Love,

Mommy

14 comments:

Rachael said...

beautiful, rach. just beautiful.

Moss Family said...

wow... that one made me cry. Perhaps it was my mother hormones (4 weeks away from my own 2nd birth experience) or just the beautiful words you chose to express those intensely personal feelings only mothers can possess. makes "Mother's Day" a little more meaningful, doesn't it... not only for your own Mother but for the new status of your own soul to another's. :) Thanks for sharing your letter to your little Meishka.

sarah said...

that gave me chills. thanks for sharing.

Kiera said...

So lovely!

Parker and Vanessa said...

I cried a little reading this. You're an amazing mom already.

Angie said...

That was so sweet Rach.

Danielle said...

Oh I know just how you feel!

Katrina said...

Beautiful, Rachel!

Diana and Jon said...

my goose bumps got goose bumps.

Ben and Lori said...

Beautiful.

Wendy said...

Simply beautiful, something you'll both treasure in the years to come.

kelsey said...

That is so sweet! I remember sitting in bed, forgeting that Mabel was already born, and waiting to feel her kicking. It's so strange to spend nine months as one person and suddenly become two separate people.

ohana=)mama said...

Ok, I am crying and I don't think I can stop. Thank you for your beautiful heart felt words! Thank you.

Jeff said...

wow, thanks for writing that Rachel. sometimes it takes writing to express things that don't get said. What a beautiful letter to your little girl.