Friday, December 4, 2009

Story #5: Circle of honor

You can't be Mormon and a BYU grad and not have this quote engrained in you:

"Stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. . . . Can I get out of the circle? No. Never! I'd die first."

Frankly, it always seemed a bit extreme to me--Die? Really? How about instead reserving that word of honor for situations a little more worthy than being confined to a chalk circle for no reason.

But it turns out that Karl Maesar, who was in fact from Meissen, which is in fact Provo's sister city (did I just blow your mind twice?), wasn't too worried about the chalk circle drawn around his birth home. Yes, you can still see a faint remnant of that line. Observe me observing:


(And pay no attention to the shift from cobblestones to pavement. It's a common feature of 19th century German architecture.)

Apparently no one was around to make Karl give his word to this chalk circle or there would have been no such thing as the Maesar building in which to display the circle of honor quote.

3 comments:

Crolace said...

Awesome.

PS I love your shoes! I think I have those exact same ones, but in black.

Kip said...

I don't know why I'm posting here, since you just insulted me. I read this post right after you put it up, just so you know. I loved it then and I love it now. I just didn't know that I had to respond to EVERY post you put up that might relate to something I've said or done. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. I wish you were more like Brother Maeser.

And yes, great shoes!

Ben and Lori said...

You blew my mind twice. For sure.