Because of logistical craziness (perhaps worthy of another story), we had about four hours to film and photograph Luxembourg for my job--and we needed to get enough multimedia to make it worth our trip to that country.
So I read up on some key sites in my guidebook and we started dashing to all of them. A picturesque market, fascinating people, and stunning mountain vistas were nice, but I was holding out for the coolest thing I had read about by far: a glass elevator built into the side of one of the cliffs where the heart of Luxembourg City was situated. Not only did this elevator provide a quick route from the city center to our hotel but it was the perfect place to film from--and it was free!
Its location, however, proved elusive.
The guidebook map was insufficient, as were the signs posted for tourists. Locals gave us conflicting directions. I was losing hope of ever finding the glass elevator of my dreams when we stumbled across a landmark the guidebook had mentioned--the elevator was just around the next corner!
. . .
The only problem was that the glass ended up being made out of metal. See?
Josh tested it for me to make sure that it wasn't just an illusion of metal--a reflection of sorts. It was solid.
So the views from this 4-second elevator ride didn't turn out to be too hot. In fact, the picture I've posted here is pretty much the best one I got, and Josh's face isn't even in focus. Which makes sense because my focus was definitely on the non-glass walls surrounding him.
The most disappointing part about the whole ordeal was that it turned out I could not blame Lonely Planet for my false hopes! That's right--my frazzled, stressed, post-serial-killer-fleeing brain had actually manufactured the word "glass" out of thin air, or thick metal, as the case was.
But a glass elevator going down the side of a cliff in a really gorgeous setting would be cool right? Wouldn't you dream for that too?
No comments:
Post a Comment