
Here's the thing about politicians. There is a reason they should sound like politicians. Politics requires a brain for the technical, for the detailed, for the specific.
Here's the thing about Sarah Palin. What we don't need is someone who is uninformed and--worse--is seemingly trying to cultivate such an appearance. A collective dropping of the letter g from the end of words, a few "bless your hearts," repeated pleas of maverick status, overuse of that fraught word freedom, and a glued on smile somehow don't infuse me with confidence that Palin should be anything BUT a Washington outsider.
I watched the debate with my parents, and I'm not exaggerating a bit when I say that my mother literally had her shirt pulled up over her head toward the end any time Palin would speak. My mom gets easily embarrassed for people.
And the fact that most of the buzz as far as I could tell post-debate was that Palin did okay? Well, the McCain camp has scored a coup in the expectation management arena. I guess if you expected Palin to sit down on the floor and pout anytime she was thrown a question to which she didn't have an answer, she really did do a stellar job.
p.s. It wasn't just in contrast to Palin that Biden looked amazing. He was amazing.
11 comments:
I really enjoyed the debate. Biden definitely impressed me. And, hey, she may not know much about foreign policy but she sure can wink with the best of them!
I was also surprised that so many people are saying that it was a tie or that she won the debate. I actually haven't read a single news article yet that pointed out that she avoided all of the difficult questions that she was asked.
My verdict on her was that she was nice, but incompetent. And I don't see why anyone would disagree.
I literally cringe every time she speaks for fear of what embarrassing, ridiculous sounding thing will come out of her mouth next. It's painful.
wasn't much of a debate in my opinion. Apparently Biden was cautioned to hold back with attacks on Palin. I am sure he could have made her look really bad and I would have had to have left the room at that point,because of the pain of it all, but he didn't. I hear he will pull the hard stuff out for McCain. Hopefully so.
On the news the next day they were interviewing people about the debate. I thought it was very interesting that the predominant comment about Palin was that she has "a great personality." No mention of her experience, knowledge, or really anything political. Hmmmmmm.
I missed most of the debate on Tuesday but finally watched it on youtube today. My favorite quote is Palin speaking in reference to what the Bush administration has done for Israel:
"Secretary Rice having recently met with, um, leaders on one side or the other there also still in these waning days of this administration trying to forge that peace that needs to be done…"
Makes me want to get out there and do some peace!
We want leaders who are more experienced and intelligent than we are -- not folk who purposely cultivate a "I'm just as dumb as you guys" personality. If that is one's M.O., then "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" should be your public stage, not the White House.
But everyone thinks she's so sweet and a good mommy, isn't that enough to be in the white house? I had my shirt over my head too...
The only thing worse than listening to Sarah Palin talk is reading the transcripts of what she says. Reading it in print just illuminates how rarely she makes any sense.
I hate how she talks. It's like she has to dumb everything down. I could barely stand to watch it. I agree that Biden did awesome. He was very respectful and didn't even bash her when she couldn't answer the questions.
After listening to Governor Palin, did you find yourself thinking that she was debating Senator Biding?
Perhaps with time, we may see Governor Sarah palin' and Senator Joe bidin'.
Post a Comment