Monday, October 6, 2008

Did you catch this one?

There were several General Conference highlights for me, including President Eyring's talk on unity (and how it incorporates diversity), but I was really struck by the one by Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge. It stuck out to me as being powerful in part because it differed so much from the typical rhetoric of conference talks but also because it focused on such basic and simple truths while also reminding me of their profundity.

Here is a taste from the Mormon Times:

"Jesus Christ is the Way. He is Light and Life, Bread and Water, the Beginning and the End, the Resurrection and the Life, the Savior of the world, the Truth and the Way."

There is only one way to happiness and fulfillment, and Jesus is that way.

"Every other way, any other way, whatever other way is madness."

"He offers a well of living water. Either we drink and never thirst more, or don't and foolishly remain thirsty. He is the Bread of Life. Either we eat and hunger no more, or we don't and foolishly remain weak and hungry still."

Everything depends on Christ's atonement for sin and on getting and keeping the power of the Holy Ghost.

The Lord said to follow him and to be like him.

"We might mistakenly believe that we can't really follow him because the standard of his life is so astonishingly high as to appear unreachable. We might think it is too hard, too high, too much and beyond our capacity, at least for now. Don't believe that."

"The Lord's way is not hard. Life is hard, not the gospel."

Latter-day Saints have two choices: Follow the Lord and be endowed with his power or go some other way alone without his support and be in despair.

"Life is hard, but life is simple. Get on the path and never, ever, give up."

If you didn't get to hear/watch it, I would read it out loud when it's made available to experience it in full force.

p.s. I was also reminded of the profundity of family relationships on Saturday, which was my dad's birthday and the 8th anniversary of my first date with Josh (don't ask me why we first went out on my dad's birthday because I can't remember).

4 comments:

Susie said...

yes, I too noticed his rhetoric and it was simple but very powerful. I also was really struck by President Monson's last talk on change. How the only the that we can count on is change and so not to live in the future or the past, but right now. Amazing talks this session. Really helped me and look forward to reading them.

Danielle said...

Yeah... I love this.

ps. So jealous that you met Ira!

Jeff said...

Thanks for reminding me about this talk. I think I was experiencing Conference fatigue at this point, and made the mistake of laying down while listening, and consequently entered into a very brief state of hibernation during parts of it. But after reading your snippets, I see that it was a remarkable talk, and I will re-read it. Thanks.

Amy said...

Thats so funny, our first date was on my dads birthday too...