If you've ever explored blogland--especially that ever expanding corner inhabited by Mormon Mommies--you've undoubtedly come across Nie Nie's (a.k.a. Stephanie Nielson's) blog and her sister's blog C Jane Enjoy It. I was addicted to both as soon as I stumbled upon them, before figuring out that Josh knows various members of their family in "real life." The Nie Nie Dialogues is brimming with visual delight, style, and simple joy in what makes life beautiful--and for Nie, that's her husband and four children. C Jane Enjoy It offers funny, down-to-earth, gloriously detailed accounts of "Cjane"'s daily life.
So it was with shock and deep sadness that I read last weekend about Stephanie's and her husband, Christian's, plane crash. You can read more about it on Cjane's blog, but the short version is that the private plane they were in stalled shortly after take-off and crashed into a wood pile. The instructor with them (Christian was taking flying lessons) passed away soon after the crash, and Stephanie and Christian remain in critical condition with extensive burns. Their recovery will take months.
My heart has ached for this family--for all the families involved--this week. It's amazing the things you can feel for people you've never met. And in the process I've realized that what many criticize as the impersonal nature of communication in the electronic age is not always so impersonal. In fact, blogging has transformed what could have been just another 30 second news story into a tragedy the weight of which I feel in my very flesh.
The extent to which it has done the same for others was demonstrated this Saturday, when not just family and friends but many "blog friends" gathered to release balloons carrying hopes and well-wishes in Stephanie and Christian's honor (following one of their family traditions). Such releases happened all over the country.
And fittingly, I even met (for the first time in the flesh) my blog friend Danielle. Her sweet baby, Avery, was born just a day before Zoë and I can so relate to where she is in life right now. I loved seeing our babies together and planning time for them to play in the future.
Speaking of Danielle, she wrote a post the other day on a similar subject in much more beautiful words. Read it here. See CJane's blog for ways you can help the Nielson's and go here to see a video Josh filmed of the balloon release.
6 comments:
I loved this post, Rach. I'm so glad you got to go to the balloon launch (and meet Danielle, who I'm also blog friends with! Small world...).
I've also been amazed this last week at how much heartache I've felt over this crash. I had trouble sleeping the first few nights, and I feel like I've had more of "a prayer in my heart" than I ever have before. What an excellent point you make about how the seemingly disconnected wired world is actually creating incredibly powerful connections.
Fun! I would have loved to have been there. And I like think I can take a little of credit for you and Danielle being blog friends since I know her and I know Rachael B who you know. I love blog friends!
really cool about meeting you blog friend! thanks for the beautiful write up on the Nielsens. I read some of Nie and her sisters blog.
I just read about that story in the paper yesterday, and of course it was limited on who and how, and all the details one craves when tragedy strikes. My first feeling as I read it was, I wonder if I know anyone on that plane? Why aren't they releasing names! What if it was someone I know? Thank you for your post, and we will keep them in our prayers.
I have read her blog as well. This is a thoughtful post. Thanks.
I was glad that you got to meet some blog friends, I was really happy to be able to show support for Chris Clark, Chris Kendrick, and their families, and I am glad that they enjoy the video so much, but I have to say that the "bloggers in the flesh" portion of the event kind of weirded me out. It was kind of like a celebrity event, (with everyone wanting to catch a glimpse of CJane) which put an awkward spin on the day for me. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you said, but the celebrity aspect felt kind of exploitative to me.
Post a Comment