
First of all, let me just say that if you ever decide to use frequent flier miles to buy a spring/summer ticket to Europe, you better do it 331 days in advance--don't wait 10 days past that deadline, like I did. After much frantic internet searching and a good hour on the phone with Delta yesterday and another one today, I finally have flights for me, Josh, and Zoë to Spain next year. (Well, we're actually flying in to Barcelona and out of Frankfurt because we're doing some video/photo work for my job in a few other European countries after staying with my parents while they're on study abroad for a couple months.)
But anyway.
I have spoken with three female Delta booking agents in the last two days. The first was incompetent, cold, and incompetent. The second was nice but very professional. The third was--well, here's how it went . . .
Me: I'm calling to check on a flight that the agent had a hard time booking yesterday. There should be an adult ticket and an infant ticket, actually.
Booking Agent 3 (BA3): I'm showing that it's not yet purchased. Let me check the reservation screen.
Zoë: Grunt.
BA3: Oh [smile in voice]. How old is she?
Me: Four months today.
BA3: Okay, I'm showing a reservation for you departing April 21 on flight number . . .
Zoë: Grunt. Gurgle.
BA3: Ohhhhh! I remember those days. It almost makes me cry [in a happy, nostalgic way].
Me: How many kids do you have?
BA3: Four, but they're all grown up. The oldest is 32.
Me: Do you have any grandkids?
BA3: No!!! None of my kids want to have children. They're all so selfish. I can't stand it! Let me put in a seat request for your Air France connection . . . Did she go to sleep? She's been very quiet [disappointed].
Me: No, she just likes looking around outside.
BA3: I'm associating your ticket with your husband's and--ohhhh!--making sure the incorrect one has been canceled.
And so our conversation went, with her alternating between technical flight details and nearly welling up with tears every time Zoë made the slightest noise (and I have to say she wasn't even making particularly cute noises). The whole thing made me realize how much I'm going to miss these days when they're gone. Actually, it made me realize that I have no idea how much I'm going to miss these days when they're gone, but it reminded me to soak in every grunt and gurgle while I can.
3 comments:
So true!
You don't even know! Just love it while it lasts! I can't even belive that Keilani is 4 going on 5! How did that happen? You'll be asking yourself the same thing! I'm already dreading school for next year... I'll miss her I know I will!
Hey Rachel, one of my friends is starting a website/magazine and I thought you might be interested or know someone who is? Here's a link for some more info: http://magazineforldswomen.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment