Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blessèd



On August 10, we blessed Zoë Talei. We waited longer than is perhaps traditional to make sure that Josh's beloved grandpa could be in the circle. His heart is fine, so ours are too.



In addition to one new father and dear friends, fathers of many years--uncles, grandpas, and great-grandpas--circled hands on each other and under Zoë.



She was held in this circle of strength and love and given a beautiful blessing by her Daddy. And she slept through the whole thing (a blessing in itself), aided by dozens of rhythmic hands.



Nearly 27 years ago, I was blessed by my father in the same chapel (Provo's first).


I felt the heft of history, tradition, and family behind me on this day.



As well as the newness of the relationship between father and tiny daughter.



And lots of love all around.



Zoë in a dress that she can pass on when she's grown.



(But still drool on in the meantime.)



And in shoes Grandma Jane was blessed in.



It feels good to be blessed (and blessèd).

8 comments:

Kip said...

What a moving remembrance, in pictures and words, of that lovely day! Such events highlight the sacred connections that bind us together. I feel blessed to have been included among your family and friends on that day.

Ben and Lori said...

Oh, Rachel, that is so beautiful. What great pictures! That is so cool that you were blessed in that same building. And also, may I mention how beautiful you look!

Angie said...

She looks so perfect. I wish we could have been there.

Jason & Shannon said...

Soooooo cute! I am so glad grandpa Stan is doing better! I love the connections too! Sharing the building and the shoes.

Kory said...

You probably don't know who I am or care to. But I think it's really cool that you have 'alternative views' on life, and still appreciate and respect the traditions and things involved with the church and Provo. I just came from a blog where everyone's complaining about Utah mormons and things like that. I appreciate your positive attitude about it all, and not being 'too cool'.

Kiera said...

What beautiful pictures Rachel, and of course what a beautiful baby.

Amy said...

So beautiful, and what a great day to remember.

kelsey said...

You guys are such a cute family! Beautiful dress too!