For those who are interested--here it is . . .On Wednesday night around 9pm, I was helping my mother-in-law with a PowerPoint presentation and noticed that the Braxton-Hicks I often have were coming more regularly and were a little bit more uncomfortable than usual. So I started timing them. They were 5 minutes apart but not very intense at all--I could concentrate on what I was doing and talk through them. The same thing had happened a week ago and my midwife had said to drink a lot of water and jump in the tub. So I did that this time too.
In the tub, the contractions lessened in intensity, but they kept coming. They were every 2-4 minutes now. But I could barely feel them. Kathryn said they need to be at that interval and intense in order for labor to be considered started. She didn't want to admit me if I wasn't in active labor and risk having to put me on pitocin. She did say that if they picked up in intensity to not wait longer than a half an hour to come in though.
I called my parents and we decided that they would pick Zoë up and she would spend the night there as a "practice run"--none of us thought I was in labor at that point (except maybe my mom). Josh wasn't even going to give them the bag I had packed her (though I convinced him to). Josh and I stayed up cleaning the house (getting ready for an appraisal the next day) and talking. I was still having contractions on and off but they didn't seem as regular and were barely noticeable, though they did feel a little different--more back pain and the tightening was lower in my abdomen. Around 12:30 we decided to go to bed. Right as I got up, I had a contraction that sent me to my knees and I thought "well, that one was more intense."
We got into bed, I had one more contraction that was more intense than the last and told Josh to pack all the last minute stuff. My plan was to wait through a half an hour of these contractions and then go. But after one (or two) more really intense ones and a major case of the chills, I said "call everyone!" (meaning my doula, Vanessa, and Kathryn) and "we need to go now." As Josh was transferring stuff to the car, I couldn't believe how much pain I was in all of the sudden. I told him I didn't think I could do this again--I hadn't remembered how much it hurt and I was probably going to get an epidural, etc. Classic transition signpost but I did not expect to be in transition 5 contractions into what actually felt like the beginning of labor!
I'd been doing a fair amount of Hypnobabies practice (the little hypnosis I did curing Zoë's labor really helped me relax), and I put a track on, but things were happening so quickly that I couldn't get on top of them. In the car I literally tried to escape from one contraction. I tried to get off my back (the worst position!) onto hands and knees--that didn't work and I was just writhing around. At that point, I told myself I just needed to give into the pain and make myself relax. I imagined a roller coaster, which really helped for some reason, and then used the "peace" cue (which I had barely practiced) during the rest of my contractions, just letting the pain wash over me and relaxing as much as possible. I felt much more under control for the rest of the drive. I think it was just hard being dropped straight into contractions like that.
When we got to the hospital, I walked in while Josh parked. I had 2 contractions before getting to the desk, where they immediately took me into a room, checked me, and declared me an 8. An 8! I was shocked. They didn't have time to read my birth plan, but said "are you planning on doing this unmedicated?" I said "yes" (and didn't doubt it this time). This was 1:30am. Everything after that is pretty much a blur.
All I wanted was to be on hands and knees, but they had to do the test strip of Nico's heartbeat for 20 minutes. I sat in the rocking chair, and Josh and Vanessa did at least one hip press, which helps so much. I was able to relax quite well and when they checked me again, I was almost complete. Kathryn still wasn't there, but pretty soon I was overcome with the urge to push. Like my body was all of the sudden not my own. I never felt anything like that with Zoë. After I had pushed once or twice, Kathryn arrived and about 3 minutes later, at 2:10, I was pulling Nico up onto my chest! Having not torn and pushed for so little time, I felt fantastic afterwards and was helping the nurses make my bed, etc. In my relief at how relatively easy this labor was, I even said "I could do that once a week!" And it's good I had prepared for a natural birth because it turns out I wouldn't have had time for an epidural anyway.
The whole thing happened so fast that it felt utterly surreal to have a baby all of the sudden. And magical of course. Everything's been so much easier this time around--he eats great, etc. I love being mommy to two!

13 comments:
My Favorite line for sure is, "I could do this next week." that my dear is one of the best lines I have EVER heard. Love it, love your birth, love that I got to be your doula. I'm glad we were prepared...even though you cruised through labor.
CONGRATULATIONS!!
I am so happy for you. I'm glad things went well and that you come away feeling like a pro. And, of course, you are.
Best wishes to all of you.
---Deon
I am so glad to see a picture of Nico just after his birth since I was asleep during the whole thing! Great birth story!
Yay Rachel! Congrats! So glad everything went well with your birth. It made me all excited for whenever it happens for me again. I sure hope I go as quickly as you did. Oh, and I LOVE Kathryn. She delivered Rilo and I just adore her.
Nico is adorable and I can't wait to meet him!! Please please let me know if I can do anything for you!
great story! what is it with second babies? they seem to so often come extremely fast.
Wow! That is so great! What an awesome experience!
This is amazing! I am so happy for your family! ~Allison
I love it! I really wish I could have been there. I want to see many many more pictures of him STAT!
I'm so proud of you! And delighted it went so quickly. You can do it for me next time, ok? ;)
Can't wait to meet Nico. Rest and recuperate now, ok?
That is pretty intense! I can't believe you did it with out an epidural. you are super women! cute pictures lets see more! I can't wait to meet him at Diana's shower next month, let me know if I can help with that in any way. I have tons of baby girl decor from a bunch I've thrown.
Amazing. Sounds like the perfect birth. If there ever was such a thing, I think you experienced it. :)
Congrats!!! Sounds like everything went so smooth. My second delivery was also much easier and faster than my first!
I didn't believe the nurses when they told me I was at a 10 forty minutes after we arrived at the hospital, second babies do go so much faster than first babies. I'm so glad your birth experience was all that you hoped it would be, and quick to boot! Congratulations! He is so beautiful. I love all his dark hair.
Post a Comment