Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Z blog

I started a blog just for Zoë months ago but never got around to using it. But now that she's saying and doing such funny and noteworthy things just about every day (and monthly updates no longer suffice), I've started collecting them here. Maybe someday I'll move all the other Zoë related posts over and print it off as a baby book.

So, if you read my blog mainly to hear about the two-year-old in our lives, you'll like that blog. For the rest of you, you won't be overwhelmed by Zo-Zo-ness.

As a sidenote, I have a question about blog privacy. I've never been a fan of private blogs for the sole reason that I forget to read them. If they don't show up in my Google Reader, I only check them like once a year, unfortunately. (And why don't they show up in Google Reader?) Anyway, for that reason alone, I'd like to leave this new blog public.

On the other hand, the only convincing argument for blog privacy (besides just personal preference) in terms of kids and safety I've heard is that Scary People can find out a lot of details about what your kids like, where they go frequently, etc.--details that could help them seem less like strangers were they to approach them. Since this blog is going to have a lot more of that kind of stuff about Zoë, I am considering making it private.

Thoughts? If you have a separate blog for your child(ren), is it private and why or why not? Especially if your main one is public?


3 comments:

Rachael said...

Hmm...interesting points. I've kept my blogs public (with the exception of my private journal). I have, however, been careful not to use our last name, the university name, or the state where we live, although someone could probably figure it out if they really wanted to.

I admit, however, it is a little disconcerting to be "recognized." And I'm not even a big blogger--but there have been times when I've had people I don't know introduce them to me as a reader when they see me around town. I think it's really cool, but it does kind of make me wonder.

Ashley Thalman said...

I have a private blog and a public blog. I personally love having the two separate. On the private blog I never hesitate to say if I am going out of town, express myself spiritually, voice my ups and downs and put mad amounts of Dotter photos up.

I agree with Rachael, I was recognized only once and I did not like it one bit. The introduction was pleasant enough but I did not like someone knowing my child's name. Not at all.

On the other hand, remember when we saw each other at the DR a few weeks back? That was awesome. I loved meeting you and loved that I knew your names.

Double standard? Probably and you know, I'm okay with that...I say, go private.

Amy said...

That's a hard one, one I have been contemplating since I was expecting Axel. I am with you, on not knowing what to do. I have thought about doing a bunch of separate blogs, family, construction, Axel... you get what I am saying, but I don't know if I could keep up. But sometimes I don't blog fun cute stuff about Axel because I don't want to "overwhelm" everyone, but it's hard because they only are this little once, and you want to remember the moment, and blogs are such an easy way to keep it organized.