
Let me say that for those of you who are sewers, you could make one of these super, super easily. I decided to buy it based on the fact that 20-something dollars wasn't too bad when compared with the money and time I would spend borrowing a machine, buying fabric and thread (since I don't have any lying around), natural stuffing, and figuring everything out. You could also use a simple piece of fabric for the same thing. But since this is something that Zoë, if all goes well, will be attached to for a long time, I thought it would be fun to have it look like a cuddly friend, and the fact that "snoedel" is Dutch for "snuggle" (and pronounded "snoodle," by the way) didn't hurt. (We take all the Dutch connections we can get since there aren't many of them around here for a Netherlands-serving former missionary like Josh.)
I'm really happy with it so far. The idea is that the natural fibers (it's made of flannel) absorb that mommy odor. You're supposed to sleep with it for a few nights to get it nice and smelly--I know, this idea may sound slightly gross--but babies are strongly comforted by scents, especially the scent of their mothers, which they can identify soon after birth. Then it is supposed to help comfort your baby while they're sleeping or if you're away from them and they're sad.
Snoedel cuddled with Zoë and I today while we nursed before naptime and she seemed to love it. First she bit its head--a sure sign of love--and then proceded to try to suck on the tip of its hat while nursing before rubbing the hat against her cheek and finally settling on hugging it. And she fell asleep like this:

Ever since Zoë's teething coincided with Josh working on a movie, we've co-slept (which I actually love, but that's a subject for another post). That works great in a king-sized bed, but won't work so well when we're in Spain this spring in a double, so I'm hoping Snoedel will help our transition back to a crib.
5 comments:
I am loving this idea. Asher has slept with us since the beginning but its going to have to end one of these days. I've loved it too, but I think we may be getting to a point where asher can go longer without nursing and we'll both sleep better in our own beds. asher already has a silky lamby that might work for this. I need to check out that book.
cute little schnoedel and the sleeping toy isn't bad either. I'm sure it will help.
Good luck with the transition back to her own bed! Keilani and Jimmy both sleep with us. Keilani will be 5 in Dec. and there's no signs of independance in sight.
That is such a good idea, I never would have just thought of that. Both Brandon and Bridger haven't ever attached themselves to a stuffed animal, blanket, etc (they did/do suck their thumbs though). But I always thought it would be cute if they did have a "lovie" Maybe if we have another I'll do that, I think it's a nice idea.
We use a little silk blanket. It works so well. Mabel rubs it in her hand or on her face to fall asleep. We also co-slept for a few months during the summer and now Mabel sleeps better on her own...it's kind of sad for me, but good I guess.
Post a Comment