Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What a difference a day makes

Announcing:
Zoë Talei Ligairi
Born April 25, 2008 at 11:06 pm
7 lbs, 1 oz
19 inches (More pictures at the bottom of the post.)

Our little girl is here! She’s actually been here for over 4 days now, but I’m not sure where the hours float away to in my haze of nursing, changing, sleeping, and cuddling.

Here’s the condensed (but still long) version of Zoë’s birth story: At 5:30 am on Friday, April 25, my water broke but I didn’t start contracting. So I went to my sister’s college graduation (she was receiving her nursing degree, appropriately enough) from 8:30 to 10:30 am. Josh and I then headed home. Since I was Strep B negative and could feel the baby move often, my midwife—Roberta—felt good about me staying home from the hospital until 5:30 pm to see if labor would start on its own. I tried every natural augmentation method I’d ever heard of, and contractions started with some regularity in the afternoon. By 4 pm, when my doula—Vanessa—came over, I was contracting often but only for about 15 to 30 seconds at a time. At the hospital, I was lucky enough to get the one room with the tub (though I’d been told earlier in the day it wouldn’t be available) and was dilated to a 4. It seemed like there was a long road ahead of us. Josh and Vanessa were the most amazing labor assistants ever. They tirelessly rubbed my back (I was having back labor) through every single contraction while encouraging me and helping me into more comfortable positions. I was able to find deep relaxation on my birth ball, in the rocking chair, and in the tub. At 8:30, Roberta said that she was going to check me at 9 pm and if I wasn’t far enough progressed, we would have to consider Pitocin, which I really wanted to avoid. Judging from the apparent strength of my contractions during that half hour, Vanessa told Josh she thought I might be dilated to a 7 (which would be good news). But then the really good news came from Roberta —I would “soon feel the urge to push!” I was dilated to a 9.5. I have never been so happy. I’d made it through transition, my biggest fear, and would be birthing this baby naturally. Then I pushed for two hours (in part because Zoë was posterior). Those minutes were the most grueling, intense, amazing, spiritual, achingly tiring, and dreamlike of my life. I’m obviously having a hard time finding the right adjectives. By that point, my mom, Josh’s mom, and my sister were there too, offering words of encouragement and physical support. When Zoë was born and put on my chest, I couldn’t believe she was real and that labor was over. Our sweet little girl had arrived. I am still amazed that everything went so well and am so grateful for everyone supporting me for making my birth experience what it was.

And afterwards I felt great! Without an episiotomy or any tearing, the recovery process has been really quick. On the other hand, nursing has proved more challenging than I had anticipated. It’s getting better now, but it’s definitely a learned skill.

Zoë received lots and lots of visitors in the hospital. As the first grandchild on both sides, her birth has been greatly anticipated and celebrated. We feel very blessed by all of the love shown us these last few days.

And we’re already having so much fun with our little Zoë bug! She cracks us up and we can’t believe how much we love her. It makes up for the sleep deprivation and everything else. Her middle name, Talei [tah-LAY], means “precious” in Fijian, while Zoë means “life.” And that’s a pretty good description of her to end on.


Two hours of pushing meant a major conehead . . . it's almost gone now.

First family portrait.


She's so small . . .

. . . which is resulting in some funny photos as well as the sweet ones.

21 comments:

Rachael said...

YAY!! I am so glad you messaged me because I didn't even get the rss feed from your blog yet--congratulations, Rach! She is absolutely beautiful. And I must say, you look radiant. :-) I am so looking forward to meeting this cutie in a couple of months!

Angie said...

She's adorable guys! Congratulations:) Good job on the labor Rach...you're amazing!

Moss Family said...

Congrats guys we are very excited for you guys. We can't wait to come up and see her.

Moss Family said...

Congrats guys we are very excited for you guys. We can't wait to come up and see her.

T + 2 said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!

Elisa said...

She's beautiful! Congrats! I hope you're loving those first moments, I love it when they're so tiny.

Rachel Sue said...

Congratulations Rachel! Especially on making it through two hours of pushing. You are amazing. She is beautiful!

The Brewer's said...

She is beautiful! Congrats on your new baby girl. Rachel you look great!

AubreyB said...

Congrats, guys! She is adorable & I love her name!

Leah said...

You're truly amazing. Can't wait to meet her.

Kip said...

I loved holding that beautiful little girl in my arm! I'm so happy for you guys!

Katrina said...

Congratulations, Rachel and Josh! That is so great. I'd been wondering if you'd had her since you disappeared from blog land. The labor sounds like it went it extremely well. Good job!!! Zoe is beautiful.

Parker and Vanessa said...

She's one good looking newborn! She really is pretty and that skin, looks so soft! We're happy for you guys!

kelsey said...

Congrats!!! She is so beautiful! I love her name too! I can't believe that you pushed for 2 hours, WOW, you are a trooper!

sarah said...

yikes, two hours??

Congratulations!! :) I found it funny that your last post started with "....haven't gone into labor" and then poof!

I love the name too - can I ask, why fijian?

Amy said...

My dogs name is ZOE, and I love that name, and if I hadn't been given a dog named that, I would have named my first girl Zoe as well. So good choice. Props on going natural! I could never! She is adorable!

Ben and Lori said...

You guys!!! She is such a beautiful newborn!! My gosh!! Rachel how amazing that you we're able to do it naturally and that it went so wonderfully. And you look so great after having a baby! I am so happy for you guys. Keep posting more pictures.

ohana=)mama said...

Ahhhhh Jimmy and I are rejoicing right now as I type!!! When can we come and visit?? Do you need anything? Anything!! Seriously please let me know! Congrats, congrats! She's such a cutie and I looovvvvveee the name. Welcome to being a mommy it's the greatest thing!!!

Tell Josh Hi for me!

Raschel

ohana=)mama said...

I love it! Someone who usual knows just what to say is at a loss for words upon the birth or her baby girl! I am so proud of you for having her natural! You have earned bragging right for that one! Way to go = )! You're amazing and I am in awe of your strenghth!

Wishing you many restfull nights.... soon!!!

Raschel

Anna said...

Congrats Rachel! There's nothing better than a new baby,I'm almost sure. I'm so excited for you- she's so cute! And congrats on the natural childbirth as well, that's fantastic. I think it's the best way to go. And oh, did I mention that's she's cute?! CONGRATULATIONS all around!
-Anna

Nate and Nicole said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you. She's darling. I can't wait to see more pictures!!

(And, by the way, I was totally thrown for a loop with how hard nursing was, too. It just didn't come naturally to Will. It DOES get better though, I promise!).