Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More complaining

So I have some more complaining to do.

I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (my class ends this week), when I was totally incapacitated by sleeping on my neck wrong. That's right--upon waking up last Friday I had a kink in my neck, and by Saturday I could barely move my head. By Sunday morning, I was begging my mom to rescue me because I couldn't perform basic tasks like changing Zoë's diaper or dressing myself (and Josh was of course out of town). Thanks to several hours of physical therapy from my very talented and sweet spine specialist of a mother-in-law, around the clock care from my parents that included a 3am trip to the emergency room with my dad when the pain just got too bad Sunday night, and the miracles of modern medicine (it turns out you can take Loritabs and muscle relaxants while pregnant if you really need to), I recovered some time mid-last week.

But wow. I don't know how people with chronic spine pain manage. The pain was so much worse than labor, especially because there were no breaks in it, no slightly more comfortable position to get into, and no foreseeable end in sight.

After I got off the Loritab and Tylenol, I had a headache for a couple of days--I figured it was a mild withdrawal symptom (is that possible after such a short amount of time?). Anyway, for that reason, I didn't take any Tylenol to combat it. Bad idea. By Saturday night I had the worst headache of my life, was throwing up, the whole lot. Luckily, some Tylenol and a Coke got that under control eventually (now Zoë will say periodically "I sick. I need a Coke.")

So this week, I just have to finish coordinating a video release at work, get my glucose test and Rhogam shot, go to a midwife appointment, try for the fourth time to get our washer fixed (yes, we've been without a washer for over a month--they keep ordering the wrong parts), grade 21 15-page research papers, attend the UT Cleanflix premier (for more info, go here), and anticipate next week.

I promise this will be my last complaining post. At least for a long while.

Finally, do you miss Zoë on this blog? She's hilarious these days. To keep up with her antics, email me and I'll add you to the list of readers for her blog at zoetalei.blogpost.com (which I still may make public again one of these days).

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Today as I was loading everyone back in the car after a morning of errands, I thought, "Mothers are superwomen. This is just daily life. And it's insane."

So I hear you. And I'm not even on Loritab. And I am grimacing in sympathy when I think about the research paper stack. And pregnancy. And a two-year-old. And no husband, and no washer. Rachel, you are a heroine simply by virtue of surviving each day.