Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A blessing of insomnia

When I'm pregnant, my internal alarm clock starts waking me up at 3am. It wakes me up to worry, to dream about my baby, feel the baby's movements, to plan, to contemplate. I'm up for at least a couple of hours. Last night I got some good grading done, but usually I just lie there and process through whatever my pregnant brain needs to process.

I got a special treat last night though. I was completely alert when Zoë rolled over and mumbled in her mostly asleep voice "I love you," as she wrapped her arms around me. I said "I love you too" and kissed her head. She turned and kissed what she thought was me (but was actually a pillow). We repeated the exchange a few times before she rolled over and wrapped my arm around her tummy. "You got me?" she asked? "I got you," I replied.

And secretly, that's one of the main reasons she's not sleeping in her big girl bed yet. I would be missing moments like that. And these days, as she becomes increasingly intent on asserting both her independence and her extremely strong will, those moments are all the more precious.

5 comments:

Crolace said...

Such a pretty moment! I'm so glad you take the time to write things like this!

Kory said...

Insomnia makes for some great moments. I miss insomnia. And I'm glad we're not the only parents who let their kid sleep in their bed.

Susie said...

So darling. I like how you write about insomnia in a positive light. I do get some positive thinking/planning done during insomniatic moments as well.

Ben and Lori said...

That is too cute! I love moments like that.

Diana and Jon said...

I laughed hysterically when I read about how Zoe kissed the pillow. I don't know why it was so funny to me maybe because I am sleep deprived after working four nights in a row.