See, I hate Grammar Police. One time when Josh and I were dating, we were eating dinner at the house of a family friend who also happened to be an English professor. Josh was in the middle of a story and this friend interrupted him mid-sentence to correct (or rather complain) about some ridiculous "grammatical error" Josh had committed. I was so mad, I spent a good 20 minutes that night making up conversations between me and said professor. Some of my points in this imaginary conversation were thus:
1) Usage trumps prescriptive rules--especially in speech (yes, I'm the daughter of a linguist, who, nevertheless can be surprisingly prescriptive when it comes to the "correct" way to say that a movie is rated R. Should it be R-rated or rated-R?).
2) Stories and, to a much greater extent, relationships are worth more than any grammar "rule."
3) Can you use the word "pretentious" as a subjective complement with your name as the subject?
But the truth is, I love grammar. I love diagramming sentences, debating the rhetorical merits of equally correct punctuation marks, and solving tricky punctuation problems with grace. And it's a good thing since I'm an editor. As such, I often have friends mention that they're afraid of writing things I'll read for fear that I'm silently editing their work and thinking less of them as a result of it not being punctuated perfectly.
Do I silently edit things? Usually. It's a force of habit. Do I think any less of the person committing grammatical mistakes? No! Unless they're my students on a principle we've gone over. A lot. And they weren't paying attention.
Also, here's a secret: on the scale of spelling ability, I'm about a 6. In my line of work, I should probably be a 9.5 at least. Thank goodness for online dictionaries.
Anyway, all of this is to say that I value and understand grammar, I notice mistakes, but I usually hesitate to ever tell anyone about them. And mostly that's just fine because who cares about punctuation/usage in a blog or on a card or in any number of other informal contexts. But then I see something like "your" engraved on a permanent sign that is screwed to the wall of at least one (but probably many) IHOP lobbies when it should be "you're" and I think to myself that if I have a good way to explain some usage or punctuation principle to the world, I should, just in case it helps someone who is in charge of writing a sentence on something really permanent in the future.
So, if you made it this far, stick around for the world's most simple explanation of how to combine the following four elements (if you don't already know):
'
i
t
s
If it sounds right to say "it is" in your sentence, put an apostrophe between the T and the S. (it's)
Anytime "it is" sounds funny in a sentence, don't use any apostrophe at all. (its)
That's it. There are no other correct combinations of those elements out there. Easy, right?
Is this helpful?
More disclaimers:
1. I know that Grammar Girl already gives lessons like the above but with more humor and pop culture references. Yes, I wish I were Grammar Girl.
2. If you're about to comment to tell me that "grammar" is not synoymous with punctuation and usage, you're missing the spirit of this post.
3. I'm sure you will find an incorrect usage of "it's" on my very next post now that I've written this one. And that's okay.
16 comments:
What if it's possesive? Is it still its? I probably correct people more than I should. If my wife reads this I'm sure we'll have a long conversation ahead of us tonight. - Thanks
Oh, I felt like writing a rant today on grammar--glad you did one for me! I was grading resumes and cover letters all afternoon. Enough said. My personal favorite was the guy who misspelled his own name. In 20-point font.
I see you read my blog post today...embarrassing.
I love that little trick, but even knowing it, I'm sure I mess up every so often. And it's/its is a pet peeve of mine. So is your/you're. Maybe you're next grammatical post should be on that!
(Just kidding about the you're :)!)
Have you found that people LOVE to correct you since they know you're an English major? I've definitely found that.
I want to say,
1. That's annoying. I don't go around correcting other people's mistakes unless they ask (or unless I was grading/teaching them).
2. I think I only took two classes that focused on usage and grammar. Maybe even only one. The rest of my classes were lit classes where it was just assumed that you could/would write papers without obvious grammatical errors, but grammar was such a minor, minor part of my education.
3. Bite me. (Okay, well, number 3 is only reserved for when I encounter the truly obnoxious, the people that laugh and laugh and keep bringing up the fact that I said "those ones" or whatever it was that I said wrong when I have a MA in English).
There's my rant. Sorry for the longest comment ever. :)
And I'm sure there's a handful of errors in that comment. OH WELL.
I think you can watch an "R-rated movie," but watching a "rated-R movie" sounds awkward to me. Especially if there's a lot of gratuitous sex.
Oh this post is so great!
For the record, I am the WORST speller. And I am not a dumb person... it's just the way my brain works. Also, I am pretty sure I never learned much grammar in high school, much to my dad's disgust. He mostly taught me. Also, you should read my first ever blog post. I disclaim my grammar errors in advance.
So something funny? I have, on more than one occasion, lay in bed at night thinking to myself, "did I use your, or you're when I left that comment on someone's post?" Seriously.
That being said, I am usually in too big a hurry to even think about grammar or spelling, and figure that anyone who knows me will just write it off as part of my quirky nature. I also frequently don't capitalize words at the beginning of sentences or use punctuation in emails. Just warning you.
I hope you aren't silently editing the grammar in this comment. ;)
ps. How do you feel about punctuation as mood indicators?
oh and pps. I didn't make that headboard, but thanks for the confidence. I do know how though-- so if you ever want to give it a try I'd love to help. Or you can just borrow my staple gun.
And I love Zoe's outfits in the post below...especially the leaf dress. Darling!
I don't know what Kory meant by his comment, but whatev. Anyway, I loved your post. I hate when people say, not necessarily write "anyways" instead of anyway. I think it is a Utah thing. But I really can't complain as I often use the wrong words when I speak. (And Kory always corrects me) or I spell loose instead of lose on my blog ALOT. It is kind of embarrassing.
Kory--the second rule applies to possessive forms. That's why this principle is confusing. In the possessive, "its" has no apostrophe. There is no such thing as its', for example.
Rachael--I hope this wasn't a rant. It wasn't meant to be one anyway.
Leah--I didn't notice a thing, but upon rereading, you used "its" correctly, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Nicole--I hear you. English degrees have nothing to do with usage and the like. I did an editing minor, which is the only reason I took grammar, etc.
Crolace--You're hilarious. like always.
Danielle--You can't have the great sense of style and ability to make anything you think of AND be able to spell/punctuate correctly all the time. It wouldn't be fair.
Amy--We all make those mistakes. I'm over it.
no, I didn't mean that yours was a rant--just that I wanted to rant. And so I was glad to see someone posting a more controlled and calm form.
For the record, one thing I FORCE my students to present on is commonly confused words. And wouldn't you know--half the time they're misused in their explanatory presentation. Oh well. It's always fun to have to stop the Powerpoint and say, "Um...actually..." and then they're all flustered and red-faced for the rest of the presentation.
I LOVE this about you! I love how your personality comes out in your posts, it reminds me of you in high school actually.
Whenever I think of grammer, I immediatly think of you. I'm glad you don't think less of me for my errors. I admit, I have intentionally made mistakes when I write you, just to give you a little excitement. And I have a feeling you might not care for these: :( :) ;)
I have always been terrible with grammar. Interesting, but I can't even think of a time to use its without an apostrophe. I have probably made that error before I guess.
I love you! That is all I can say.
Rachel, I stumbled across this blog today and I thought of you. In fact, I can see you getting endless hours of enjoyment from something so "trivial." Hope you enjoy it!
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/
Post a Comment