Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Woody Allen antidote

Last night Josh wanted to watch a movie, and I told him I was in the mood for something happy.

I'm always almost in the mood for something happy. It's not that I don't appreciate challenging and/or dark movies. It's just that when I feel like watching a movie--as opposed to reading a book--it's because I want to escape. I also love the first 20 minutes of most movies. I like meeting the characters, seeing what everyone is wearing, soaking in the setting, and the like. I'm always wishing that the inevitable conflict wouldn't hit, that I could just inhabit this alternate universe in peace for a while. What does this say about me?

Anyway, the point is that I said "happy" and Josh delivered from The Collection (of which I've seen maybe 1/10?) After Hours. In case you haven't seen it, After Hours (1985), directed by Martin Scorsese, is less happy and more nightmarish. Or perhaps it's both--on IMDB it's listed under comedy and thriller. Usually Josh only likes comedies when they are hyphenated thrillers.

Let's just say that I did not want to inhabit this movie's universe for any amount of time. But, after the fact, I realized the merits of such a movie.

See, about every month or two I tell Josh we should just pick up and move to New York City. I've only been there a couple of times, but I love it. I've always felt the pull of big cities in general, and NYC is especially magic. And watching Woody Allen movies--especially favorites like Manhattan Murder Mystery--doesn't help. Who doesn't proclaim to one's spouse that all should be sacrificed for a spontaneous trek east while the credits of an Allen movie roll?

The next time I'm feeling that way, I'll turn to my trusty After Hours antidote. For even though I doubt I would encounter a series of crazy blondes in Manhattan and be pursued wrongly by a vigilante mob, the part of New York that I could afford to live in would undoubtedly be as dark, dirty, and depressing as the movie's setting was.

However, when Josh sells a movie or if I ever decide to go to law school . . . well, you never know.

6 comments:

kelsey said...

After Hours is a strange movie isn't it?! Not a favorite of mine, but an interesting movie. I am a fan of comedies. I always want to watch funny movies and Bob saves the thrillers and horror movies for after I have fallen asleep.

Angiegirl said...

Lol. I love Manhattan Murder Mystery.

Anonymous said...

thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry we weren't able to say goodbye. our apartment flooded and sent us on our way a few weeks earlier than anticipated. I will link your blog to mine so we can keep in touch. Zoe is so beautiful and is getting really big. oi remember talking to you about the delivery...

Speaking of delivery... mine went went. ... just REALLY fast in comparison to my first. It was really intense, but over quickly which was nice.

How are you guys? I hope all is well, so wanted to get together with you guys and never got around to it. will have to get together on a visit to utah :o)

Danielle said...

Funny...I like visiting New York, but I am always ready to come back home. I am not a big city girl.

Also, Zoe's little ruffle bum in those crawling photos is so cute I can hardly stand it! Life changes a lot when they become mobile. I still don't have baby gates. Stairs don't seem to be the biggest problem. Its magazines that get us into trouble. And I wish I could account for my day. I try often to do it mentally. I spend a lot of time with Avery trying to entertain her. I have gotten better at letting her roam around and play, but I am constantly evaluating the safety of the situation. Sometimes I will go run errands just so she is confined to a car seat or stroller but still entertained, because at home...forget about it. She doesn't want to be cooped up in any sort of plaything, and I don't blame her. I have started putting her in her high chair while I am cooking and pulling her close enough that she can feel involved and she seems to like that.

Katrina said...

Our recent trip to NYC and Boston cured me of all desire to live in the big city. There is just something stressful about all those cars and buildings and people. We both breathed such a sigh of relief to leave all that behind. I guess I'm just a country girl at heart.

ohana=)mama said...

When I go to NYC I end up in Central Park and stay there. I am a wide open spaces kind of girl an would never survive in the city. I've been there quite a few time and I don't really ever feel the need to go ever again.