Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Olw


I loved this book as a kid. When I picked it out for Zoë at the library the other day, I knew she might be a little young for it, but I didn't realize the effect it would have on her.

I predicted boredom, but she sat still through the entire reading and wanted to read it again. But then when the lights went out and we were settling into bed, she had lots of questions about the "olw." They went like this:

"Olw coming?"

"No, the owl is not coming."

"Olw no coming."

"Owls stay outside in the woods."

"Olw OUTSIDE! No olw bite feet."

"No, an owl will not bite your feet. The owl is far away."

"Olw far away, outside."

[Peering over the edge of the bed into the dark] "No owl down dere."

"No, the owl is not down there. Owls live outside, far away, in the woods."

"No olw up dere fan."

"No, the owl is not up on the fan. The owl is outside. Far away."

"Olw far away, no inside."

Etc.

Poor Zoë. I had no idea this book would induce such fears. Apparently, rather than monsters under her bed, there are owls. (And don't ask me where she got the idea about an owl biting her feet. I promise we don't threaten her with foot-biting for bad behavior.)

5 comments:

Kory said...

That's a really funny story. She sat still through the book because she was afraid she was going to get bitten on the foot.

Rachael said...

This is Juliet's favorite book right now...

Susie said...

ha ha ha-I want to hear her say olw...

Lori Lou said...

Zoe is going to be a smarty pantalones.

Rachel Rowell said...

That's so cute. It's too bad it made her scared!