Here is what takes a very particular type of brain: getting lost on the way to a friend's house that you've been to once before (forgivable), then leaving that house, driving down a grand total of two streets (that's one turn) for five minutes, remembering a forgotten camera, and getting lost again on the way back to her house. That's what happened to me tonight. And it's similar to what happens to me pretty much every time I drive somewhere remotely unfamiliar (and, I'll admit, even sometimes places that ought to be familiar).
I've long suspected that I have a disorder when it comes to directions. But tonight, as I drove with a three-year-old who consistently asked me if I knew where to go and suggested that I call someone to find out, I began analyzing this disorder more closely. It feels like a lack of visual memory or an inability to mentally organize things spatially coupled with a difficulty in recognizing visual landmarks. I'm good with maps and can make sense of locations if I can see the big picture, but I can't process directions while I drive (or, sometimes, walk). Also, my instincts inevitably fail me. If I turn right to go into a building, I want to turn right when I come out (my dad is the same way--he has learned to listen to his instincts, then do the opposite). I can even get disoriented inside large buildings.
I googled around a bit and one possibility that came up was a visual perception disorder, but I didn't fit any of the symptoms, other than the bad (horrible) sense of direction. In fact, I consider myself primarily a visual learner. I did, however, come across a term called "directional dyslexia." I don't know scientific it is, but this post by a fellow sufferer (I'll concede that the word may be a bit dramatic) certainly resonated with me, to the point of being almost eerie.
As far as disorders go, it's not a bad one. For the most part, it's just embarrassing, though it does involve short bouts of anxious panic (sometimes felt while imagining living out the rest of my life on a Swiss mountain like Heidi). But I think the worst part is that it probably inhibits my desire to explore new areas near my house on my own. It's ironic that I love to travel and can easily navigate the public transportation systems of New York, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, etc. (maps are involved) while getting miserably lost in Alpine.
Naming the problem is helpful though. Now if I can just find a support group for the directionally dyslexic, I'd be set. Maybe the group would be called DDA . . . or perhaps one already exists under the acronym GPS.
I may have just hit upon the perfect present for my upcoming 30th birthday.
6 comments:
Fantastic blog! I can't wait to read the link about it. I never thought of this as a disorder-kind of funny! But what is weird is that it is sooooo very predictable when your dad chooses the exact opposite way that he should to leave a place. You wrote it all up so well. And oh--the part about living in Switzerland like Heidi still kills me!
Sorry about the bad genes on this one. But I may have given you lots of good genes to make up for it, right?
As I drive I still find myself imagining the shortest route to my destination, only to discover that it's a long cut, not a short cut. And it makes me really anxious if I am driving a visitor from out of town to a place that I am kind of familiar with, because I know I will either not find it or I will take a tortuously long route to get there.
And yet, who was the only person who could find his way around the labyrinth of Toledo?
OK-2 more things. After read the link article you suggested I feel really bad about laughing at dad and getting impatient with his 'directional dyslexia'. On the other hand I can't promise not to get impatient or laugh ever again.
The 2nd thing has to do with an experience I had with your dad before we were engaged. Before his mission even. We went to LA for Thanksgiving I think so I could meet his parents. He decided to take me to Disneyland. I took a really, really long time to get there and a even longer time to get home. I think it took most of the night to make it back to Jeff's parent's home. Back then I just thought 'wow-LA is a really complicated place to drive around in, (which it is). But now I know it is an especially complicated place to drive around in when your driver (Jeff) has 'directional dysplaxia'.
This post makes me laugh! Sorry for your direction dyslexia, but it's made for some funny times. My favorite- Not knowing which door to go out for PE for an entire semester in high school. lol! You'd often start walking confidently one way, and I would always wonder where you were going. It was so funny that after turning right 5 days a week for a whole semester, you would still turn try to go left. Now I feel kind of bad for poking fun, but at least you always thought it was funny too. :)
jared has NO sense of direction. i've often said its some kind of dyslexia. so you aren't alone. :)
When I pull out of my driveway with a specific destination there is a 50% change I will go the wrong way. The truth is I don't really know where Costco is in relation to my house. Is it slightly South or North? Not sure. It's pretty bad! It's also frequently embarrassing, a constant time drain on my day, and a source of daily eye rolls from my 8 year old. Thankfully my wife finds it endlessly funny!
Post a Comment